Old, Unique or New

This little WW cross slide was made by a friend who is now deceased. He started working for Harley Davidson in Milwaukee at age 15, worked there 49 1/2 years until his retirement. At the time of his retirement he was HD's chief machinist and tool and die maker. He hand made many tools, many related to model railroading. His WW lathe was modified and he made many attachments for it including a unique table saw and a milling attachment.
The cross slide is beautifully made. Looking at the close up of the slide you can see small alignment errors as the numbers were hand stamped. Unfortunately men like this are too soon gone taking their experience with them.
Regards

MVC-004L.JPG MVC-005L.JPG MVC-006L.JPG

This is possibly the rarest tool that I own, other than my home made tools. This is a Mitutoyo 0" to 1" Micrometer Height Gage.

PB302129Large.jpg

PB302130Large.jpg

PB302132Large.jpg

PB302129Large.jpg

PB302130Large.jpg

PB302132Large.jpg

I have never seen one like it but it reminds me of one made by Dorsey Gage Co. of Poughkeepsie NY only theirs used a dial indicator as I recall.

This Palmer style micrometer came to my hands through a rather sinuus way.Very
probably it was made in France on the beginning of 1900's or even earlier.
Then spent some of its life in StPetersburg and somehow terminated in the
hands of an old machinist in the Former Soviet Area of Caucasus.Very probably
in what is called now Georgia(not the US state), or South Osetia.The man was
of Greek origin, part of flourishing Greek communities in the area since the
Golden Fleece saga.After Stalin's purgins these people were deported to Tashkend
now in Uzbekistan,and during the 70's finally settled in Greece.It was given
to me as a present of friendship around 1978 and it remains to my possession
since.
aDSC00180 - Αντίγραφο_resize.JPGaDSC00182_resize.JPG
You can see at the first photograph the Logo of the manufacturer an Anchor with the two
characters A F on the sides.The second photo is an overall view.
Any info regarding the manufacturer,origin,year of making e.t.c. will
be highly appreciated on my part.
Thanks in advance for your efforts.
Sure is a museum piece besides dragging histories and personal drama half
around the Globe.
Ariscats.

aDSC00180 - Αντίγραφο_resize.JPG aDSC00182_resize.JPG

Very interesting thread, some outstanding tools.

I've got some more to add in a few weeks when I get my tools back after moving.. but these are some I bought recently.

$(KGrHqZ,!qQFG(NIs,MHBRmNYmgskg~~60_85.jpg$T2eC16N,!ygE9s7HHqLLBRmNY2SG1w~~60_85.jpg$(KGrHqZHJEUFGKTmHB-eBRmNZZbsyQ~~60_85.jpg$T2eC16V,!)cE9s4Ptm3jBRj-bNSVnQ~~60_85.JPG$T2eC16dHJGQFFhwB4fJKBRj-bVjlWg~~60_85.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!qQFG(NIs,MHBRmNYmgskg~~60_85.jpg $T2eC16N,!ygE9s7HHqLLBRmNY2SG1w~~60_85.jpg $(KGrHqZHJEUFGKTmHB-eBRmNZZbsyQ~~60_85.jpg $T2eC16V,!)cE9s4Ptm3jBRj-bNSVnQ~~60_85.JPG $T2eC16dHJGQFFhwB4fJKBRj-bVjlWg~~60_85.JPG

It looks like no body is knowing anything about my post #197 (A PALMER type micrometer)
Any way, information regarding this item will be highly appreciated.
Thanks again
Ariscats.

Just a little 0-.500" mic, but the stamping on the barrel cracked me up. "Sold Only At Woolworth Stores" Wonder if it was 5¢ or 10¢? In the mid 1990's a guy started a used tool store in Waltham, MA. He was concerned with mechanics and woodworkers tools, but he picked up a couple of chests with mics and other machinist tools. He had no idea what they were worth; unfortunately, at that time my kids were still in grade school or middle school, so extra cash was hard to come by. I got that bad boy for 50¢, and an old Starrett 0-1" mic still in the wooden box with the slide cover, and the "How to read a micrometer" sheet folded up inside for $10. After a couple of years, he figured out what those kind of tools were worth, so there weren't many good deals anymore. I keep the 0-1 in my tool chest at work, I'll try to bring it home and post pics.
DSCF0688.JPGDSCF0689.JPG

DSCF0688.JPG DSCF0689.JPG

Back