Old School

You might be old school if you ever ran a punched tape Linotype machine,,,,or if you even know what a Linotype machine is.
Ran one in high school. Sucked. Couldn't wait to get a "word processor"!

“The whole town had Saturday Night Movies on the side wall of the village hall! Guess what no TV!!!!!!!!!“

Sounds like heaven.

CluelessNewB That was the newer one with more keys. View attachment 249645

That right there is a Model 28 Teletype machine. I spent several years maintaining those beasts when I was in the Navy. I got so I could do a complete Quarterly Preventive Maintenance on one of those in one 8 hour watch. Remove, disassemble, clean, reassemble, lubricate and adjust the page printer, perforator, re-perforater, tape reader and keyboard. Learned a lot of little tricks for handling small parts working on them.

I could also do a pretty fair job of reading a 5 level Baudot tape just by looking at the holes.

The trick was to remember the switch between upper and lower it could throw the whole thing off missing one of those. Used one in the AF passed my first typing test on one of those. Had to do 30 wpm and hand part of one hand in a cast, That S_ _ _ _ _ but finally managed to do it I was glad when the the IBM selectric typewriter came in.

The trick was to remember the switch between upper and lower it could throw the whole thing off missing one of those. Used one in the AF passed my first typing test on one of those. Had to do 30 wpm and hand part of one hand in a cast, That S_ _ _ _ _ but finally managed to do it I was glad when the the IBM selectric typewriter came in.

Had one operator that could do 100WPM on one of those if the keyboard was adjusted just right. He loved to see me bringing one back after PMing it, cuz he knew he could fly on that thing for a week or two before the keyboard got out of adjustment again.

The joke back in the day was "I'm Old Navy, from the days of wooden ships, iron men and steam-powered letters/figures shift" :grin:

Back