Old metal shaper

Hey uglydog that second link is a good one, that should answer his questions I saved that.

Not the first time I've heard not to use grease. I've got a special moly lube, it's specifically designed for open gears, and used on the big turret gear on my grapple crane. I called it grease, but it's closer to tar I guess, real nasty stuff. It instantly dyes whatever it gets on black, the only way to get it off skin is brake parts cleaner, and that doesn't get it all. I'm thinking I'll set up some kind of drip oiler using that stuff for the bull gear. I doubt the engineers back when this was built had anything like this in mind for lube, but why not some upgrades? One of those links had a guy "cnc" his shaper lol

I don't know what's wrong with me, but getting my first little shaper, and seeing beauties like yours, has just made me want an even bigger shaper! :)

Bernie

I don't know what's wrong with me, but getting my first little shaper, and seeing beauties like yours, has just made me want an even bigger shaper! :)

Bernie

Even if we told you, you still wouldn't listen! :jester:

I need to get my shaper moved and up and running! Along with the punch press, tool grinder and a few other items.

Even if we told you, you still wouldn't listen! :jester:

I need to get my shaper moved and up and running! Along with the punch press, tool grinder and a few other items.

You are absolutely correct sir.

:)

Bernie

While it is nice having a big shaper, I very rarely use it's full potential. Most off the pieces I put in it are way smaller than it's capable of handling. And mine is anything but a beauty, for now at least.

Update on the original problem though, I did get a little more intimate with her this afternoon and discovered some things. First, I went spelunking into the crevice in the center of the ram, and under 40 years of dust I found two separate oil holes for the rod link, which I had to dig out with a scribe, and blow out with brake cleaner. Second, the plug I mentioned in the side of the main casting I don't think was an oiler now. I believe it was where the original main power switch was located. I think this because I found a cord retainer inside the main casting directly below the plug, almost at the bottom. All wires are now run outside the machine, so apparently it's just a matter off popping the side cover off and dumping some lube on the gears every time she runs. I may play around with making a drip oiler anyway.

on my varnamo i could not for the life of me figure out how to oil the top pin that connects the bull gear arm to the ram. if you look straight down the slot on top the the ram, where the nut tha protrudes out to lock the ram down after adjustment. the carrier that is under there (that the pine is running through) there should be a hole somewhere, at least there was on mine that you just drop oil into. you will need a light and maybe a pick if the machine is all gunked up. if you dont have this oiling port, well you can take the ram off and drill one.

hope my explanation is clear enough. i can take some pics over the weekend when i am back at the shop

on my varnamo i could not for the life of me figure out how to oil the top pin that connects the bull gear arm to the ram. if you look straight down the slot on top the the ram, where the nut tha protrudes out to lock the ram down after adjustment. the carrier that is under there (that the pine is running through) there should be a hole somewhere, at least there was on mine that you just drop oil into. you will need a light and maybe a pick if the machine is all gunked up. if you dont have this oiling port, well you can take the ram off and drill one.

hope my explanation is clear enough. i can take some pics over the weekend when i am back at the shop

Yup I figured that out finally. So much crud in there the holes were totally covered. However, if you'd like to post some pics of your machine, I wouldn't mind seeing some other machines. Although they are quite slow, they are plenty fun to play with! As my younger brother said the other night watching mine, "you can develop an alcohol addiction running one of these" lol he don't have the patience to run a shaper

Ram position lock are you saying there is not oil cup on it, thats how they get oil, which drips from the shaft onto the top pin, if i'm reading correctly ??

No oil cup, just a hole drilled in the casting, if you look straight down into it you can see the pin surface. Just fill the little hole up every time you run it. I may add a gits cup to it when I do a tear down just to keep the dust and crap out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back