Old metal shaper

Maddogmech1

Active User
Registered
I've got an old metal shaper, it's an 18" newey engineering, my grandfather bought it at an auction god knows how many years ago, set it up in his shop and used it maybe a couple times. I think he just couldn't figure out how to run it, or if he did, didn't have the right tooling. When I recently dug it out of the back of the barn, it had a little drill press vise bolted to the table, and a lathe tool holder in the clapper. I've mounted a big milling machine vise to it and located the right tool holders, and it now works beautifully. My problem is, I'm not sure of the oiling system for the bull gear. There seems to be no way to oil it, other than taking the side cover off and putting the grease to it. I also don't see provisions to oil the rod that runs the ram. I know this beast has been modified, it has a 220 volt single phase motor, obviously not factory because the mounting plate for it is fabbed and not in the right spot (only 2 of the 3 drive belts line up). Also there is an aluminum plug in the side of the main casting, covering a maybe 2-1/2" hole. I would think there used to be some sort of oiler here for the bull gear? I can't find and info about these on the net or original pictures

I don't know a whole lot about shapers.

I do know that I like pictures!

Here's the monster. I know she ugly but she throws chips like 3 feet lol

the one pic is the plug over where the oiler should be?

image.jpg image.jpg

I ran one like that ~1977. Not only could it throw chips 3 feet, it could hog metal like you wouldn't believe. No way to bog that machine down, lol.

I ran one like that ~1977. Not only could it throw chips 3 feet, it could hog metal like you wouldn't believe. No way to bog that machine down, lol.

Right! If I'm dimensioning a piece, I'll take at least 1/16" at a time or more. In first gear anyway lol it has 4 but 4th is scary! I usually stick to 1st on steel and 2nd on aluminum. I'm scared to break something and then the machine would be junk. I've watched a lot of YouTube vids on shapers, but can't find anything else but one other pic of a newey online, and that's just a guy that bought one and brought it home, no info on them. Guess ill have to get creative with the oiling system. Maybe a brush oiler like my dads claas round baler has for chain lubrication.

Have you taken the side plates off and looked around inside? The machines from those days were generally built to last so it's hard to imagine that they didn't make suitable provisions for lubrication.
I had a Hendy from WW2 that had a pressurized oil system consisting of a sump, gear pump, felt filter and a distribution system. Don't give up - there has to be something there!
Good luck,
Michael

Consider checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MetalShaperLessons?feature=watch

http://neme-s.org/Shaper Books/shaper_book_page.htm

http://www.neme-s.org/shapers/shaper_columns.html

http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/index.html#metalshapers

I have more links but these were likely the most helpful.
I'm still working on getting my 16" Whipp working. Never enough time...
Daryl
MN

some great links! +1 on no time to play. I work 70 hrs a week and have too many irons in the fire. I'd like to tear my shaper down to nothing and give a nice blue pearl and silver paint scheme, but that's a big project I don't have time for.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you taken the side plates off and looked around inside? The machines from those days were generally built to last so it's hard to imagine that they didn't make suitable provisions for lubrication.
I had a Hendy from WW2 that had a pressurized oil system consisting of a sump, gear pump, felt filter and a distribution system. Don't give up - there has to be something there!
Good luck,
Michael

Yes I I've been inside it, and there's nothing. For the most part, it relies on gits cup oilers or simply oil holes. The only thing in question is bullgear and rod link. I'm sure something is missing, that alum plate is def not factory, neither is the magnetic switch that powers it, and someone had pinned the guide plate for the shifter, blocking off 4th gear.

You are right. First you want to sell it? Oiling isnt that much a problem, I simply added more "flex" spout on the oil can. bull gears get a squirt of #90
gear oil. A squirt on the yoke and somehow it will find its way to the bottom. I'm not familiar with yours but a lot of them do have oil lite bushings
that need nothing. Mine is always busy so i'm doing something right. Myself I dont like grease it just doesnt spread like gear oil & that goes for lathes too.
All the concern about chips getting in there? One should know whats going to happen before they do it! Like working with killer cast iron. Newspapers
and magnets are cheap I do not have that problem. Again If I dont use a quart of oil a day I'm not working. On mine the drive shaft oil cups are
impossible so I brazed a special bent snout to an oil can to get in there. Some day I will do some piping. Kind of like drilling a hole through the side
(next to the door) with copper tubing, aimed at the bull gear, then it can be externally oiled while its running. My thoughts were machines like an
excavator have a manifold of greased fittings, so you can grease the thing, standing on the ground instead of a ladder. Makes sense.

Back