Old Machine Shop Photos You Might Like

I am retired and really enjoy taking my time with the projects. Some guys say "if it is worth doing, it's worth doing right", but I just enjoy feeling like "now that's good". I am working on a 2002 Harley 883cc Sportster that was "salvaged" out. I bought it in November and have replaced a lot of jimmied up stuff on it. Love being able to use the HF 9x20 lathe, HF mill, Jet bandsaw, Delta drillpress and 3 welders while making new parts or replacement items for it. Best of both worlds, sort of.
Nice to take time to look at the old machines and wonder how much OJT and school training these guys had. Not nice to fool around with these big open machines.

attachment.php

Gotta love that suit! Looks kinda dangerous with all that loose floppy clothing around moving machinery.

The place I did my apprenticeship was built in late 1890's, it had a line shaft that ran halfway down a large shop. The old lathes were still there but had been changed over to electric motors in the 1930's. A couple of the old ones were still in use, we used to make up our own screw conveyor flights and they were hard faced and then ground off on one of the old machines. There was an old pit lathe that could swing a 14 foot diameter. I used it a couple of times, it was a pig. The line shaft was still in use as it ran the blacksmith's power hammer. There was also a planer that had originally run off the line shaft but it wasn't used while I was there, I think the large shaper and Cincinnati mill put it out of business.Clive

Love the one of the two guys wearing neckties while running the lathe. I wonder how many engineers were lost back then in machinery accidents?

Tom

I was thinking the same thing. I was thought never to use ties or loose clothing near rotationg or moving machines.
Also have heard many accidents along those lines.

By the way. Where is the handle on the tailstock on that student/teacher picture?:headscratch:

Vernier calipers

I've about gone broke with batteries for the digital, had a bellyful of gear teeth going in dial calipers, and my older-than-me [I'm >50] veriers are still going strong...

Re: Vernier calipers

I've about gone broke with batteries for the digital, had a bellyful of gear teeth going in dial calipers, and my older-than-me [I'm >50] veriers are still going strong...

...and they WILL for the rest of your life. Verniers will always outlive any other caliper design because they can't wear out. They may need to be reground & relapped & recalibrated once in a while, but they have no electronics, and they have no teeny tiny racks & pinions to get loose or jammed with chips.

My verniers are my most closely guarded calipers; I use them for my "masters". With good masters, I can use any junk dial caliper for everyday use and calibrate them against my masters when I wonder about their accuracy. I've got no doubt at all that my verniers will outlive me.

Although they're quicker and more convenient than any others, I dislike digitals worst; they're battery hogs, and when they're dead... they're dead forever. If Murphy has his way, they die right in the middle of a critical project that MUST get done by Monday morning first light.

I'm sure I should replace it but...

My micrometer of choice is a 0-1" Brown and Sharpe that was used by my Grandfather. He must have retired around the time I was born, and I'm now over fifty.

They still zero properly and seem to fit my hand nicely

Richard

I'm sure I should replace it but...

My micrometer of choice is a 0-1" Brown and Sharpe that was used by my Grandfather. He must have retired around the time I was born, and I'm now over fifty.

They still zero properly and seem to fit my hand nicely

Richard

Got a set of gage blocks, Richard? Or can you borrow some from a nearby shop? It's worth doing once in a while to calibrate the mike against 'em at a number of different settings just to see where they are today. Depending on how often you use 'em, they may still be plenty good enough for your uses... but it never hurts to know for sure. The screw, or screws if they use a compound thread, tends to wear & get a little sloppy in the ranges you measure most.

I do have a set of Jo blocks, they cost me £20 from a car boot sale. Yes, I guess I could check it over, but what if I find it has worn out :eek:. I only have one micrometer from my Grandad!

Richard

Back