Old Machine Shop Photos You Might Like

Nelson,where were the first color pictures taken? They look like the machines are old,but the shop is still operating. I love the early Hardinge lathe in picture #1.

Somebody's gotta say it!

(Aussie accent on) That's not a lathe. This is a lathe. :)

GaugingDiameterTailShaft.jpg

GaugingDiameterTailShaft.jpg

Nelson and CG, thanks for the photos and links. I've got some new desktop pix now. :)

Thanks for posting these old machine shop photographs Nelson, & starting a very nice thread, These old shops always had a peaceful ambience about them, Now long since gone in todays "hurry along " world where everyone seems to be in such a damned big hurry, they are getting no-where fast

Not sure where some of them came from- probably a net search I did.

Thanks for posting these old machine shop photographs Nelson, & starting a very nice thread, These old shops always had a peaceful ambience about them, Now long since gone in todays "hurry along " world where everyone seems to be in such a damned big hurry, they are getting no-where fast

Sad, but true. I was in a shop last year (I don't get out often) that reminded me of an ol'timer's machine shop but the guys were all 20-30yrs old and moving around like buzzing bees. It was just frantic. I asked the owner if it was always this busy and he said, "This is nothing. We're slow with work right now." Working in that place'd give me a heart attack.

Ties and Lathes, When i was a kid in High School all the male teachers were required to wear ties even the shop teachers. When they worked with power tools they just tucked them into their shirt like the guys in the picture. I especially like the checked pants with the striped coat. He must have been the Bee's Knees.

Back