Ok To Clean Bench Stones In Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Mike, those are diamond bench stones you linked to, no? Don't they clean up adequately with some Ajax or similar cleaner? I just use Comet cleanser and a toothbrush and it gets my diamond stones totally clean. For oil stones, I wipe the swarf off before it builds up too much during sharpening, then use oil and an old T-shirt to wipe them off before storing. My water stones are kept cleaned with just a nylon brush, dried and put away for storage. These things work for me but I'm sure there are better ways to do it.

Thanks for your replies.
My question is about whether ultra sonic cleaners is an option for cleaning any type of stone including Arkansas and diamond grit (except Japanese water stones).

As mentioned above I clean after every use, usually by soaping, rinsing, wiping, etc. A good spray of WD40 will get most of the scarf dislodged on some stones. But there are often some faint grey streaks left that defy my cleaning methods. A less tedious and more effective method for cleaning stones would be a welcome discovery and vibratory cleaning machines came to mind.

I've discovered that the cheap spray on solvent degreaser (NOT the foaming orange oil type) makes most metal particles drop straight out including the really streaky fine stuff , even on files. quicker than a file card or brush. I have to apply some sort of barrier again after of course but quick and easy. It is good enough for my inherited bench stones some of which are probably over 100 years old now. Never considered ultrasonics but with natural stone I guess the worst it could do is find natural imperfections anyway. I have an ultrasonic bath but see no reason at all to try based on past cleaning performances. I reckon some fairly harsh chemicals, acids etc would be better still as long as the composite isn't metal based if manufactured.

I guess you could just find a natural stone of some random type (be interesting experiment on different natural types) and stick it in the bath and see what happened. It isn't going to hurt the cleaner, and worst that could happen is the rock would shatter or simply dissolve.

Mineral oil on the oil stone works wonders. Cheap at the hardware store and a gallon will last a life time I think.
I tried all kinds of oils and solvents even brake cleaner....mineral oil was used by guys in the metal scraping trade (videos I watched before trying it myself) and when I finally pick up a gallon and used some on a stone, I was in awww how well it worked.
I'll be no help on the wet stone and ultrasonic....I know nothing there.

I cleaned a few of the red India stones in an ultrasonic tank in hot water and Dawn. It does remove most of the scarf but not all. I have thought of trying again but no time available currently as we are swamped at work.
Pierre

Back