Ok To Clean Bench Stones In Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Although my oil and water stones are cleaned after every use, it seems I can never get 100% of the swarf out of the stone. I am looking for first hand experience on whether ultrasonic cleaning works without damaging the stone.

I would try it on an inexpensive stone to see what happens. Nothing like first hand experience.;)

Let us know how it works:)

Actually I don't have any inexpensive stones. Nor do I have an ultra sonic or vibratory cleaner. If either one worked for bench stones then I would start shopping for one.
Maybe I should have asked for second hand experience initially. :)

Although my oil and water stones are cleaned after every use, it seems I can never get 100% of the swarf out of the stone. I am looking for first hand experience on whether ultrasonic cleaning works without damaging the stone.
What exactly is a "bench stone" and what are its uses?

an automotive parts washer does an exelent job, i suppose you could steam clean them or maybe a pressure washer.

A small wire brush works good for cleaning stones.

I have always used lighter fluid to clean wet stones.

When at my last job I used a surface grinder to true up a couple of old worn wet stones I had laying around.

I use Dawn, hot water and a vegetable brush on mine once in a while, but if you keep them saturated with solvent when you're using them they shouldn't get clogged up. Using a stone dry will rapidly fill it though and you can just use compressed air if it has always been used dry. If you wait too long, you will need to scrub it to really clean it.

Back