Ok, So What Is This Thing? - Stratoflex 210

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
I got this in a package with other machines. Didn't really want it but had to take it as part of the deal. I know what I think it is but would rather keep that to myself so as not to taint to opinion of others.

Couldn't find a single reference on the interwebs.

So, what is this thing?

Pictures aren't the best but it's a little cramped in there at the moment.

100_2467.JPG 100_2468.JPG 100_2469.JPG 100_2470.JPG 100_2471.JPG

Doing a quick google search Stratoflex seems to be a division or in some way related to Parker (the seal and o-ring manufacturer). Maybe some machine to build and crimp high pressure lines/hoses?

Product of the oilfield (Ft Worth, TX) Just kidding. I believe it is used to install JIC fittings on the end of high pressure hydraulic hoses. This was used before the days of using hydraulic fixture and crimping like we see used today.

The Stratoflex style of fittings were screw on, the internal piece was RH coarse looking thread and the outside piece was a LH coarse looking thread that went over the OD of the hose. I may have this backwards.

If course I maybe blowing smoke into places we cannot say here, too.

I'm with Ken. I have built a hydraulic hose or two, or a thousand, probably a lot more than that, all custom. Made a lot of non standard hose types using a vise, a wrench, and shop made clamping tooling. I could still probably do it with my eyes closed. Never saw that exact Stratoflex tooling, however...

Garbage trucks were the big users, by far. Also construction equipment, stationary equipment, dump truck hydraulics, metric hoses for import equipment, air hoses, water hoses, whatever was needed. I knows hose!

Whatever it's used for, it's got one of the coolest machine badges I've seen in a long time! "Stratoflex", whoosh....

Love it!

-frank

Excellent responses guys!

I think you're all on the right track. It came from a shop that rebuilt air compressors and hoses.

They had several of the other machines shown in the parker catalog that was linked.

I had myself convinced it was a tapping machine. Put the tube in the movable jaws and the tap in the jaws that spin.

If nothing else it has a nice little vise on it .

And a nice 3HP 115v motor.

I was thinking of trying to sell it but it sounds like it might be an obsolete piece of equipment. Probably why I had to take it in the package deal. Could be good for the bits though if I can find a good use for them.

Back