Oil pump & oil wicks

Other members read these Q&A, so lets hope someone else can figure it out Before dismantling the set screw lock, scribe lines on the 2 half's . Also when you put it back in you can grind a longer bevel on the set screw or just drill and tap another one if it doesn't line up. Have you pulled the pump to make sure it's OK.... Do you have the motor running the right direction....I'm trying to help trouble shoot your issue.
I have yet to pull it out, didn't know what to do with the set screw lock as I've never seen it before and don't know why it is installed that way. The marking of the parts is a very helpful tip!
Only one way to install the pump so that won't be a problem.

Did you pull the sight glass off yet? Have you checked those lines to make sure the aren't clogged up? Maybe try an air compressor to blow out the lines.... turn the pressure down.....lol
Yes I removed the glass and could hear air bubbling in the oil. also saw little bubbles on the parting line of the pump so there isn't a blockage. I'll try to run the pump with the pipes disconnected to see if there is any oil flow at all.

Your hearing bubbles? Check to see if the machine motor is running in the right direction. How much oil is in the base? Is there a oil height mark? The intake pipe may not down deep enough in the oil.

Many machine builders use the set screw between 2 diameters as a lock so it doesn't move in and out and rotate. double check to be sure there is only one set screw in the tapped hole.

Many machine builders use the set screw between 2 diameters as a lock so it doesn't move in and out and rotate. double check to be sure there is only one set screw in the tapped hole.

I still remember the first time I saw that on a machine it blew my bosses mind he hadn't seen it before..... We beat on that shaft for hours before we finally realized there was a 2nd set screw.... Now I always try to use a 2nd set screw on all my projects.....

Other members read these Q&A, so lets hope someone else can figure it out Before dismantling the set screw lock, scribe lines on the 2 half's . Also when you put it back in you can grind a longer bevel on the set screw or just drill and tap another one if it doesn't line up. Have you pulled the pump to make sure it's OK.... Do you have the motor running the right direction....I'm trying to help trouble shoot your issue.
Turns out the motor is wired up wrong and turning in the opposite direction. When moving the gears by hand I got some oil flow after blowing the pipes with compressed air. When i turned the motor on it was moving in the other direction..
I'll switch 2 of the 3 phases to get the motor to turn the other way and hope the issue is fixed.

Attachments

• oil gauge.jpg
    oil gauge.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 4
Right now there are 2 gears that are not getting lubricated by oil. So far I have been using grease on them every so many hours but this it not something that should be permanent as it is a chore to remove the cover. Beside that it probably should be lubricated by some sort of oil and not a grease because of the high rpm's. I cannot find any oil line that leads to these gears
There are 2 options that seem like a good solotion. The first one being plugging a drain hole in the bottom and making this oil bath lubrication. There is an existing hole in the bottom that the oil drains out of into the main reservoir (where the pump is located). I could tap this hole and put in a set screw but I have concers with vibrations and having the screw stay in place. Another option would be to use some silicon and seal the hole off.

Another option would be drilling a new oil line that makes oil flow over the gears. Behind the oil line there is a small reservoir that the oil gets pumped into. From this reservoir there are 4 lines on the bottom that gravity feed oil over a few numbers of gears. The green arrow in the picture is where I would drill the new line, it would flow just on top of the gears and the oil will drain into the main oil tank.
The obvious downside with making another oil bath is that draining this would be a pain.
What do you guys think about this?

Attachments

• new oil line.jpg
    new oil line.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2c79d4e8-2192-4338-9232-65cb6237a895.jpg
    2c79d4e8-2192-4338-9232-65cb6237a895.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 9228b179-c04a-454d-8e7e-e17563b38919.jpg
    9228b179-c04a-454d-8e7e-e17563b38919.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 4d53a5ae-0b4f-40a4-b036-830788fd6247.jpg
    4d53a5ae-0b4f-40a4-b036-830788fd6247.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 4
I am glad you checked the motor direction, I have seen this happen before. It seems as if the factory would have designed it so it would get oil don't you think? How about making a 1/16" paper gasket and Permatex or blue Silicone (glue) it to the cover (not both sides as you don't want it ripping into a dozen pieces when you open it up... Assemble it and run it for say 15 minutes and shut it off and open it up right away and observe if the gears are wet. I agree it is probably a oil bath.

Back