Oil pump & oil wicks

michieltje

Registered
Registered
About half a year ago I bought this swiss milling machine. After thorough clean up it looked good and there wasn't a lot of wear in the mill (Scraping marks still visible on some places). I have opened up everything that was reasonably reachable and found some grease in some place that should be lubricated by oil. After getting the old grease out I tried to see if the oil pump would pump oil over the gears in the head/top of the machine and it didn't. When looking through the oil flow window I could not see oil flowing. After experimenting with the oil level (less and more oil in the gear box) and removing the oil winding and pouring oil throught that there has been flow for a little bit, but not for long.
Where do I start with solving a problem like this? If it all possible I would like to have the gears and guts of the machine stay in place.
A secondary, less pressing problem; the oil cups have holes in them and I think there should be wicks in them. Does it matter what kind of wick or rope i put in there? Do you guys think it would be a problem if i just kept topping the oil cups every X hours of use?

Attachments

• eb11afde-5d0a-49eb-baf5-2d9cdee3e6c9.jpg
    eb11afde-5d0a-49eb-baf5-2d9cdee3e6c9.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 8b99ada5-ca68-4f68-8200-de6eeb8db25f.jpg
    8b99ada5-ca68-4f68-8200-de6eeb8db25f.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 519caa32-9a9d-416d-83bc-5aeba130c234.jpg
    519caa32-9a9d-416d-83bc-5aeba130c234.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 22
I am not sure what you mean " removing the oil winding " The translation or is there another word???? I would put in oil wicks...they can be bought at a store that sell oil lamps, you can unwind the wick and slide it through the hole. Another material for wick is a pipe cleaner ( used to clean tobacco pipes. You can wind the wick or pipe in a coil in the cup. Wet them with oil and they should wick oil. As far as the pump, have you checked to see if there is a strainer (filter) at the bottom suction side of the pump? What sort of pump is it? Can you take a photo of it? What brand and model machine is it? Do you have a maintenance / parts/ operation manual?

I've blown air through the oil system and saw air bubbling out of the pump, so there is no blockage in the pipes.
The next step I want to take is removing the pump from the gearbox. The copper pipes are now disconnected from the T-fitting and I'd like to pull out the mounting shaft using a bolt that fits inside the thread of the shaft but there is a set screw there keeping the axle in place. Can I pull the axle out and install it afterwards without a problem? The thread from the setscrew will have to be in exactly the same place as it is now and that does not sound like something that is easy to do.
What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 4b62b52b-558a-4181-acb0-d33d71e229a0.jpg
    4b62b52b-558a-4181-acb0-d33d71e229a0.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 8af6183c-300f-4f43-b59c-2797c70a5d8d.jpg
    8af6183c-300f-4f43-b59c-2797c70a5d8d.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 12
  • c8c6b01e-8017-4c29-b9ae-8ca477425032.jpg
    c8c6b01e-8017-4c29-b9ae-8ca477425032.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 13
I am not sure what you mean " removing the oil winding " The translation or is there another word???? I would put in oil wicks...they can be bought at a store that sell oil lamps, you can unwind the wick and slide it through the hole. Another material for wick is a pipe cleaner ( used to clean tobacco pipes. You can wind the wick or pipe in a coil in the cup. Wet them with oil and they should wick oil. As far as the pump, have you checked to see if there is a strainer (filter) at the bottom suction side of the pump? What sort of pump is it? Can you take a photo of it? What brand and model machine is it? Do you have a maintenance / parts/ operation manual?
Should be oil window instead of winding. (oil glass? The little plastic thing that shows you there is oil in there)
It is a Starrag milling machine, never see anything like it. Can't find anything about the manufacturer's early days or any documentation on the machine.
I could feel an inlet pipe on the underside of the pump but it felt like an open pipe without filter. I'll try to remove the complete pump to see if everything is as it should be on the inside.

Well McMaster-Carr Also sells those....lol They are called Oil Sights....

Though i appreciate the answers, the problem isn't that the gauge is broken. It lies in the fact that there is no fluid moving through it.

Other members read these Q&A, so lets hope someone else can figure it out Before dismantling the set screw lock, scribe lines on the 2 half's . Also when you put it back in you can grind a longer bevel on the set screw or just drill and tap another one if it doesn't line up. Have you pulled the pump to make sure it's OK.... Do you have the motor running the right direction....I'm trying to help trouble shoot your issue.

Did you pull the sight glass off yet? Have you checked those lines to make sure the aren't clogged up? Maybe try an air compressor to blow out the lines.... turn the pressure down.....lol

Back