Oil Leak In G0602 Lathe

I recently did my annual oil change and it was nowhere near clear. In fact, it was downright dirty (see photo). While you have the oil out of the lathe, you might want to upgrade the drain and fill plumbing. I installed a street ell and plug at the fill hole and a nipple and cap at the drain (see photo). The holes in the gear box are threaded 1/4" pipe. I may install a longer nipple the next time I change oil so that it clears the bench entirely. I had to buy a gallon of the oil, so I can do a lot of oil changes without running low.View attachment 118661

A couple of questions.
One, how many times have you changed the oil since it was new?
Second, doesn't the street ell on the fill side of the box get in the way of the compound travel when you get really close to the gearbox?

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I have only changed the oil the one time just after the break in.
I have only had it since 12/28,
The street ell projects 1-5/16" toward the carriage.
I don't think it will be problem but I can pull the ell if needed.
Sure makes it easier to refill the gear box with a short funnel.
Bill

I didn't install a Fill Ell because it DOES interfere in the carriage travel. I've had several projects that completely butted up to the gearbox. Matter of fact, I had my DRO pickup on the gearbox side of the carriage and it limited travel so I moved it to the other side as well.

I use a custom made drain tray and a small funnel with a pliable filler hose attached, no problems. I've changed my oil 4 times now and it's always been clear. When I opened up the gearbox to change the level view window (earlier in this thread) I completely washed down and wiped up a very small amount of "metal mud" off the floor (considered pretty normal).

Ok Thanks.
Like I said if I find it a problem it is easy to remove.
Time will tell if I need to pull it.
I was guessing the depth below the drain plug was a reservoir to capture any metal particles.
Bill

If I have any complaints it is the ball oilers for the spindle bearings.
That could have been better designed, in my opinion.
Bill

The balls fell out of the oiler in the headstock and one in the carriage. You can pull them with a pry bar after driving a sheet metal screw into the hole. A 5/16" ball oiler from McMaster-Carr fits. Order part #1214K3 Easy-Fill Oil-Hole Covers. The grizzly sourced part was back ordered with no target date.

I have the same problem with the ball oilers; one fell out in the headstock and the other in the carriage.
Thanks for the part numbers

When I got my used Grizzly lathe, it came with a lot of extras, one of which was a small bag full of these little ball oiler ports, and I soon found out why.
I like the cup oilers where they don't get in the way, but have just put up with these cheap *** little ball oilers where clearance is a problem.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

McMaster-Carr offers a wick type oiler, p/n #1221K15, but it fits a 1/4 " hole instead of 5/16".
Also expensive, but has 5/8 oz. reservoir.
They would be bulky on the headstock and probably won't work on the carriage.

Bill

I know this is an old post but hoping to revive it, as it is relevant to my issues regarding this specific lathe. Hopefully the OP is still out there, but he's not posted since last year. Maybe someone can chime in? My lathe has leaked excessively since new. A few years back, I pulled the cover and attempted to seal but it continued to leak. I pulled the entire gearbox off a few days ago and re-sealed it and put it on my bench to see if it would leak and sure enough, it is still leaking but from the site glass. I like the OP's approach in addressing this. Wondering if there is a part number for the site glass he used??? Thanks!!!

I have had a 602 for seven years and have had absolutely no problems with a gear box leak.

RTV sealant tens to soften and swell in petroleum products. Permatex makes a special formulation RTV for use with gear oil. I used it several years ago when I repaired my tractor transmission with no leaks. Apply an even coat and allow to thoroughly set up. A second thin fresh coat can be used if a bond is desired. https://www.permatex.com/products/g...kers/permatex-gear-oil-rtv-gasket-maker-3-oz/

Back