Off Topic: headlights

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter Gold Member
99 Camry. Running lights and brights work, but low-beams do not, both sides.

Is it just a wild-assed coincidence that they both went south at once? (Yes, maybe one went out and I didn't notice until the other one did.) Or could it be a fuse, or, worst case, the switch?

I don't mind changing the lamps, but it's raining, and supposed to do so for the next week. Seattle, dontcha know...

I had one side, but not both, could happen. Try a new bulb and see the light!

A simple test is worth all our opinions. Pull out a bulb and test it for continuity... While you are at it, check the wiring connector for power with the switch on. Repeat on the second side as needed... Could be switch, relay, bulbs, wiring, or ???

if both really did go out at the same time then its probably the switch/relay/module* that feeds the lights, rather than the bulbs

* depends how new or fancy your car is.

Having done troubleshooting of electrical systems for almost sixty years, I don't believe in coincidences. Generally, when two faults occur simultaneously, there is a common cause. Check for blown fuse first because it's easiest, check for bad switch, broken wire, etc. If you can get at the connection to the lamps, check for voltage there. If it's like some of the later model cars I've worked on where you have to tear half the front end apart to even see the connection, it's probably the last place to check though. I had a similar light problem and it was a corroded wire on the bottom side of the master distribution panel.

About the coincidences; although rare, they do happen so don't rule them out completely.

Would a fuse control just the low beams, and not the high? It's the same lamp.

My experience with Japanese cars is normally one fuse for front right and back left lights, and a separate fuse for front left and back right lights. If both front lights are out it won't be a fuse.

Check everything, starting with the simplest. I have seen a few times where both bulbs/headlamps burned out simultaneously.

My guess would be dimmer switch. But I'd sure test those bulbs first.

Rather than having the beams individually powered and a common ground, the Camry runs a common power (one fuse per bulb) with the switch supplying the ground to the appropiate filament. If they both low beams went out at the same time yet the highs still work, either both bulbs failed, the cluster switch failed, or someone diked the wiring harness. I vote for the bulbs.

Back