Novel idea for splicing a serpentine belt

I'd use 3M™ Dual Lock instead of Velco. It holds much better. Not quite as flexible tho.

Hello Ron,

Were you ever able to make any headway on your velcro idea? I too am looking for an easier alternative way to fab up a new belt on a 70 yr old Logan of mine.

Lefty

I haven't had a chance to follow up on it, sorry. I may have to in the near future though as my belt (very, very old leather) is slipping quite a bit and I don't dare put any more tension on it.

I'd use 3M™ Dual Lock instead of Velco. It holds much better. Not quite as flexible tho.

I had thought of that as well but as you brought up, was concerned about the flexibility. I figure it's got to be fairly flexible to make it around the smaller pulley without separating somewhat. It's still really bugging me. As the old saying goes, "We can put a man on the moon but can't..." (now for the appropriate finish) "find a simple and durable way to splice and reconnect a continuous belt?"

-Ron

I had thought of that as well but as you brought up, was concerned about the flexibility. I figure it's got to be fairly flexible to make it around the smaller pulley without separating somewhat. It's still really bugging me. As the old saying goes, "We can put a man on the moon but can't..." (now for the appropriate finish) "find a simple and durable way to splice and reconnect a continuous belt?"

-Ron

Try a long splice and see what happens. The length may negate any separation that may occur.

Keep us posted! I see one coming in my future :biggrin:

Back