Not Your Regular 1968 Honda CT90 K0 !

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i recently got 2 Honda CT90's up and running, both have not started for some time.
after many parts being replaced, both are ready to go on excursions.

this is not a story or those 2 bikes.......:grin:

I have a 3rd 1968 CT90 K0 , waiting to be born from imagination, parts, and some sweat.
the idea is to make something like this (below),from a frame i have.
The idea is not original, but i plan to do things a bit different

ct90 trialsbike.png

here is my frame and rear shock absorber mounts
it all starts with the frame!

IMG_4488.jpgIMG_4487.jpg

Warning!!!!
i'll be (extensively) modifying this bike.
if you are pure of heart, you may wish to avert your eyes to the utter desecration, that unfolds on these pages to follow!

here is video 1

Last edited:
Act 1 Front End

the K0 came with what was called a bottom link suspension

IMG_4489.jpg

Here is a picture of the inner workings of the OEM front suspension for the K0
both the left and right sides have the same dampeners- which are hard to come by these days.

IMG_4482.jpg

i decided to upgrade front end.
instead of running the bottom link, i was going to do something better!
i started looking at DR.ATV's site and saw that it may cost upwards of $500 (or more)
to complete a front end upgrade to the CT110 type of front suspension, tire, rim, spokes, brakes, etc.
this is kinda doing it the expensive way
i considered other options, and looked around on ebay and craigslist
i figured a Honda CR125, CR250 or XR100, XR200/XR250 front end, may be of similar dimensions (or close enough to work with)
i looked on Offer Up.
sure as schnitzel , i found an unidentified Honda front end for $80
complete with tire, rim, shocks, brake caliper, front axle, & bent bars !
IMG_4490.jpg

as luck would have it, the front end had a 17" wheel, just like the OEM CT90 K1, Plus Disc brake Option!!!!:grin:
the gears started turning in my head... what's it gonna take to swap the front end out???
i did a few measurements,
reality sets in.....:disturbed: the "new" front end must be modified to work with the CT90 frame.
A second thought occurred, the frame needed to be worked to fit the new front end.

After minutes of intense scrutiny and a dash of poor planning, the decision to convert the front end was made- as the lesser of the 2 evils.
I removed the upper and lower triple clamps, from the new front end.
i stacked the new upper and lower triple clamp against a CT90 K1 style triple clamp.
i found out that the new steering head comes up waaaay short :eek 2:
i decided to do something unorthodox, i was going to swap the steering spindle, with the CT90 K0 - whatever it takes!
IMG_4473.jpg

i chucked up the new lower triple clamp and proceeded to knock the weld off the lower clamp
with a bronze drift and a few heavy handed whacks, the new steering spindle was removed

I savagely dissected a corpse K0 front end, to harvest the steering spindle.
my tool of choice was a 4-1/2" angle grinder with an Osborne cut off disc (good carborundum disc :encourage:)

IMG_4480.jpgIMG_4481.jpgIMG_4478.jpgIMG_4479.jpg

The end result, 2 steering spindles -free from their captors!
IMG_4474.jpg

i took the spindle from the new front end,
since it is the perfect OD already , i felt no need to try to reproduce the same fit.
i chose it as the bushing material for the smaller diameter K0 steering spindle
i bored the id of the new spindle an formed a bushing for a press fit of the K0 spindle.
IMG_4475.jpg IMG_4476.jpg

i made a few guesstimations as to where stuff should line up, and to not interfere with operation.

i heated the new lower triple clamp, sans spindle, in the easy bake oven at 150°F for an hour

IMG_4477.jpg
while the newly formed steering spindle/bushing went for a bath in the freezer while the triple was heating
soon to make union.

After the spindle was frozen and the triple clamp was hot- i beat them into place- these parts were heavy press fit!!!
I welded the works back up from the bottom with 3/32" E309L-16 and let er' cool natural
IMG_4483.jpg

the abomination as almost ready for installation.

here is a comparison to the 1969 K1 (left) Vs. my abomination (right)

IMG_4486.jpg

if i'm right, i'll be able to use the stock K1 bearings on the new abomination

i have a set of tapered roller steering bearings/seals, etc. on order- arriving soon!
stand by for more mayhem to come!

Last edited:
i did some body modification,
there are several panels spot welded together in the main frame to attach the rear fender.
i chopped the rear fender at the seam where it would have met the main frame and brazed the remaining loose sheet metal edges that remained as a noise reduction preempted strike, figuring if they don't rattle, it may stay together a lot longer!
after smoothing things down with an 80 grit 4-1/2 sanding disc on the angle grinder,
then i went to a 4-1/2" 100 grit flapper wheel

next, i started with 120 grit on the inexpensive harbor freight multi-tool
1613279374565.png I'll give it a thumbs up!
you need to change out the lil triangles often, but it can get into tight spaces.
i would recommend buying several sanding heads as they wear rapidly around the edges and the hook and look system fails to grab properly.
but all in all a very useful tool!

i only had 120 grit pads for the multi tool, so i went to the 1/4 sheet palm sander

1613279662674.png
although not ideal for motorcycle frame work, i was eventually able to take down the120 grit to 220 to 400.

i did to 500 by hand, to finish up.

IMG_4501.jpgIMG_4502.jpg

IMG_4503.jpg

i have a few alterations in mind before paint,

Stay Tuned!

i started work on a swingarm for the bike

IMG_4509.jpg
for now i decided to run the original swingarm (that is until i can build or modify a replacement system :grin:)
the bushings are most likely wiped out due to age, so rather than find out later, i chose to do it now!

i didn't have the honda factory tools for removing and installing the bushings, so i made my own!

the installer is pictured to the left, the removal tool is to the right
both were turned from 1215 steel

IMG_4510.jpg

the removal tool worked as intended

IMG_4508.jpg
as did the installation tool !

IMG_4511.jpg

next was some scuffing to resuscitate the primer from the previous owner,
only to shoot it again in more gray rust-oleum primer!

Back