Not To Bring Up Bad Memories Still; Have You Ever Been InJured Doing Machining?

Have had a few injuries, luckily nothing very serious, although any one of them easily could have been.

Oldest first:
In high school shop class, working with a 12" Clausing lathe, I shut off the lathe, then placed a wrench on the toolpost and spun her loose before the chuck stopped spinning. Jaws of the chuck threw the wrench at my chin, open end first. Yup, I've got two scars on my chin, exactly 1/2" apart.

Couple years later, working in a machine shop, deburring some parts with a wire wheel. One inattentive slip and the wire wheel removed a bunch of hide from one knuckle. A couple stitches later I was ready for a beer.

About ten years ago, working in a maintenance shop, wrestling a length of 6" square tubing into the horizontal band saw. The tube was resting on the rollers of the saw table and on the roller stand. I slid it forward a bit to get the length I needed. The roller stand bound up and then tipped over, dropping the far end of the tube to the floor, causing the near end to go up. Pushed one of my fingers right up onto the saw blade. Luckily, the saw was not running, though it had been just a few minutes before. Long ago I got into the habit of stopping a machine completely before moving anything. (Please refer to incident with lathe, wrench, and chin noted earlier). Only needed a few stitches for that one!

I was caught in a screw machine around 1980. Index finger on left hand had to be re-invented. Really not a fun thing to go thru. Guy came back from lunch (iiquid) and started the wrong machine. I can use the finger OK it's just in winter when I have trouble in the cold. Mucho nerve damage. The scarring is not too bag normally. Again, winter is a different story.

"Billy G"

Back