Newbie Sticker still unremoved from my forehead.. Here we go.. with both left feet!

You are being watched by the man. You are now on some list somewhere like the rest of us.

It means that you are watching it since you posted in it.
LOL///////// tooo funny... I am watching myself...? Now I am totally paranoid how do I get away from the man when I am the man!? !

Yes I remember reading it is a mild steel. But the attachment of the Driven Gear on the outside is over an area I will not even be touching with my proposed Bore work... Please take a second and realise I am not trying to OPEN the WHOLE SPINDLE to 1 inch... I think everyone is looking at this like I will cut the entire bore.. The taper that opens to 1 " on the working end lies directly between the drive gear and the Chuck end threads.... The section I want to cut 1/16th out of begins in the shaft somewhere below the pulley and runs out to the change gears end of the shaft... I seriously do not see any real strenght issues here not in the small amount I wish to remove.. And 7/8th opening is an improvement and partially solves one of the notorious long standing comments about the limitations of these lathes. I have checked now and I will not lose ANY taper at all.... as the 29/32 I am going to go for begins in the center of this shaft... I will not be touching the working End (HALF) of the bore at all. I will try it on another shaft when I get an extra... I think this is worth the effort. If there is any reason for the bore taper to run 11" and that benefits me in some way I would like to know what it is.. And please stop me from ruining a perfectly good spindle. As it stands I will have 5" of taper.. I think that will hold any tapered tool I know of well enough and straight enough. Right?
No you want have 5" of taper after Boeing out the Spindle . You will you might have about 1" of taper left

Yep.... Damn .. you guy's were right. That's too bad... I thought this would be a nice little modification... I verified it... the taper is just as you say it is... and although I will not remove it all I will remove just under half of it... leaving about an 1 - 1/2" to seat on any centers I use... Not worth doing if I risk losing that much taper. Well, I suppose us newbies get all excited about things then find out it's been done or just won't work. It's what hooks us into this madness to begin with I guess! Sorry for the time expenditure with such small return. I will just get used to the larger lathe... and probably end up selling the smaller lathe in the future.. Right now it's just too much fun...!
I am glad you decided not to bore out the bore .
That would put a future buyer of the lathe in a very bad predicament , if you sold it to someone with a Spindle that had been bored out . When they get ready to put something between centers . That's
Most likely when they would find out the lathe had been tampered with .

Why don't you just buy another spindle on ebay for under $100 and bore that out. If it works you are gold if not you still have your lathe in proper order. I guess boring it from the rear might preserve the Morse taper and just shorten it a tad. Advice given by someone who knows little. Being honest.... JB

Why don't you just buy another spindle on ebay for under $100 and bore that out. If it works you are gold if not you still have your lathe in proper order. I guess boring it from the rear might preserve the Morse taper and just shorten it a tad. Advice given by someone who knows little. Being honest.... JB
No it would be lost regardless how or where you bore
The Spindle

Here is a drawing of a no. 3 Morse taper plug, specs courtesy of Little Machine Shop. If the socket is bored out to 29/32 or .906", only .638" of the plug will be in contact.
View attachment 229478
Excellent, I came up with about 1 -1/2" left in a rough measurement... and even that was not worth the gain to begin with. No As I posted yesterday I am no longer going to try this.. I thought it was far less intrusive than it is. Thanks again for the actual numbers. this helps put it to rest for sure.

Again being new to machining, I am figuring I must just not understand my options as I have not built up and experience but taking that 4/32 out of the bore and ending up with 29/32 is actually all I need for the time being. If I need larger than that I will have to look for another machine someday. SB or I think I was told some of the Logans have large bore spindles... Any chance of finding that video? And thanks for the help guys... These old lathes are really cool and ys get a sense of pride in ownership of them, I'd hate to hurt the machine, but my proposal seems doable and an improvement if done right.

Any idea how much of the Morse taper you would remove by doing it ? That may be the reason for the tube size or perhaps the spindle was made from standard stock size & turned to size , then Morse tapered & threaded for the chuck & threaded at the opposite end for the gear & retention nut .

Once you start thinking about the gears , length of shaft & the weight of the chuck & gears perhaps it's been engineering tested to find a size with enough meat in it to absorb the cutting harmonics ie the tube is " tuned " . If that's the case , taking out the 4/32 might affect things considerably .

Ha ha , I've just discovered the posts that are in agreement . I must read all the posts before replying in future .

Last edited:
Longer than the bed will handle.... and again the barrel is NOT the only consideration... I was wondering if This could be done so many other applications could fit in that bore hole... So far the consensus is I will damage the taper to much for it to be of worth.. I will verify with good measurements soon enough... If this is the case that's too bad, as it would be a fun and easy modification to increase the capacity of many old machines.... But then I suppose if was this simple someone would have thought of it before. I noticed this thread says it's being "watched" what does that mean? Sounds ominous... lol !

:angel: Being watched .. :angel: It's the ghosts of the long departed engineers , machinists & tool makers looking after Atlas & Sphere lathes :angel:

Back