Newbie Sticker still unremoved from my forehead.. Here we go.. with both left feet!

Learning Curve

Registered
Registered
I have an older Atlas... 12 x 24 101 07403 model... 3/8 bed material... Love the old machine and am not sure what anyone is talking about when it comes to any "flexing" while cutting.. I swear that is some point made 60 years ago by someone trying to sound like they knew what they were talking about...and people have repeated it with no evidence of it.. as at the speed I cut at there has never once been any thread or shaft that has any mishape to it due to any flexing not at all. Anyway I digress.... (Newbie remember... I do actually have a question...) I have however been very been disappointed that I could not pass a barrel through the spindle that was larger than the ... 25/32 bore would allow. So recently an opportunity came up for me to buy a much larger Atlas 12 x 36 model 111 "War lathe" Industrialised, in comparison to the 101.... Heavy V rails 7-1/2" wide All 1/2" material everything beefed up and about 130% in overall size and weight. I am totally surprised that they still used that same Shaft and timkin Bearing spindle... They still have that same 25/32 pass through in this much larger machine.... ? I am past trying to understand why other than production costs.... So I got looking at it closer and considering I only need 7/8 of an inch... It seems to me there is plenty of thickness on this spindle to bore out just 1/16th".... I'd have the 29/32 I am after and all would be right with the world... Right? .... And I just do not see any way removing just 1/16th would weaken anything enough to cause problems.. So I wonder if anyone ever tried this? That is my question..... and I do beg forgiveness in advance. This could be sacrilege to suggest it or even dangerous if there is some engineering principle other than conjecture against trying this. Thanks for any input.

I have heard and read of this being done, but have no source material to offer for verification. You are talking about removing a very small amount of material, after all. I've got a 101.07380 and the thought of running a few reamers through that spindle has crossed my mind a time or two, but I've never gotten serious about it.

I have an older Atlas... 12 x 24 101 07403 model... 3/8 bed material... Love the old machine and am not sure what anyone is talking about when it comes to any "flexing" while cutting.. I swear that is some point made 60 years ago by someone trying to sound like they knew what they were talking about...and people have repeated it with no evidence of it.. as at the speed I cut at there has never once been any thread or shaft that has any mishape to it due to any flexing not at all. Anyway I digress.... (Newbie remember... I do actually have a question...) I have however been very been disappointed that I could not pass a barrel through the spindle that was larger than the ... 25/32 bore would allow. So recently an opportunity came up for me to buy a much larger Atlas 12 x 36 model 111 "War lathe" Industrialised, in comparison to the 101.... Heavy V rails 7-1/2" wide All 1/2" material everything beefed up and about 130% in overall size and weight. I am totally surprised that they still used that same Shaft and timkin Bearing spindle... They still have that same 25/32 pass through in this much larger machine.... ? I am past trying to understand why other than production costs.... So I got looking at it closer and considering I only need 7/8 of an inch... It seems to me there is plenty of thickness on this spindle to bore out just 1/16th".... I'd have the 29/32 I am after and all would be right with the world... Right? .... And I just do not see any way removing just 1/16th would weaken anything enough to cause problems.. So I wonder if anyone ever tried this? That is my question..... and I do beg forgiveness in advance. This could be sacrilege to suggest it or even dangerous if there is some engineering principle other than conjecture against trying this. Thanks for any input.
Why do you need to run your gun barrel through the Spindle bore ?
Can't you run it in the steady rest

I saw a YouTube video where a guy done just that. I think he made a couple of pillar blocks with bronze bushings that clamped on the ways. He bored and then honed.

Why do you need to run your gun barrel through the Spindle bore ?
Can't you run it in the steady rest
Not sure how to make that work. Need to spin the barrel and need room to thread the end. 12x 24" Perhaps I am missing something.. I am a newbie afterall.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy done just that. I think he made a couple of pillar blocks with bronze bushings that clamped on the ways. He bored and then honed.
Again being new to machining, I am figuring I must just not understand my options as I have not built up and experience but taking that 4/32 out of the bore and ending up with 29/32 is actually all I need for the time being. If I need larger than that I will have to look for another machine someday. SB or I think I was told some of the Logans have large bore spindles... Any chance of finding that video? And thanks for the help guys... These old lathes are really cool and ys get a sense of pride in ownership of them, I'd hate to hurt the machine, but my proposal seems doable and an improvement if done right.

I have heard and read of this being done, but have no source material to offer for verification. You are talking about removing a very small amount of material, after all. I've got a 101.07380 and the thought of running a few reamers through that spindle has crossed my mind a time or two, but I've never gotten serious about it.
Yes Sir, and if not for the limitations of the shorter bed on my small lathe I might not want to try this but now that I planned on doing it, it is hard to dismiss the curiosity. I was hoping someone here has done this or has information that is solid as to way I can/t before giving it a go. So many of you guy's have been at this for years and I actually appreciate the fact that you still enjoy this hobby/business enough that you all take the time to check in here and share advice. It's the "machine" that is addicting to me and "fun"... I have to admit I really still do not like working with metal... I am a wood carver and gun stock kinda guy... my recent engraving techniques and my new machinery acquisitions have me as a fish out of water for sure.

Not sure how to make that work. Need to spin the barrel and need room to thread the end. 12x 24" Perhaps I am missing something.. I am a newbie afterall.
I thought you said you bought a bigger
36" cc lathe

Back