Newbie question: How to attack this project?

My original plan was to cut a bearing pocket first, then I'd be able to chuck the piece from there to do the opposite side and the channel where the tubing would ride. Now I'm not sure I can access the area occupied by the dead center. I'm still exploring the options (I can always cut what I can get to, then take it to work where there's a larger lathe, but I wanted to do it at home)

That's what I had planned to do, but the chuck jaws don't extend out to 4" before coming out of the chuck

Does your chuck have reversible, or a 2nd set of reverse jaws? I find it hard to believe you couldnt chuck a 4" dia piece of short stock on most home lathes.

Cheers Phil

Does your chuck have reversible, or a 2nd set of reverse jaws? I find it hard to believe you couldnt chuck a 4" dia piece of short stock on most home lathes.

Cheers Phil

That was my assumption also when buying a "7 x 10 mini lathe". But it's a 3" chuck, and although it does have both a reversible and second set of (outside) chucks, they won't reach. I've purchased an inexpensive 6" 3-jaw chuck off a seller on ebay and it should arrive Wednesday 12-3.

In the meantime, I have it set between centers and I'll dig away at the center area where the tubing will rest while being formed. If I can reach it, I may face off the ends too so the chuck will have a true flat to locate

Last edited:
Back