Newbie: Need Help Setting Up Overhead Ram Support Van Norman 16 Mill

Thanks!!
Will wait to see if anyone else chimes in.
Bob

The arbor pictutred appears to have a center cut in it, correct? It looks like this arbor should be used with the ram support.

As for the 2 dead centers, they would be used typically on a dividing head to hold a part with a dog used to turn the part. Check the accessories catalog under the 10" dividing head page for an example. I can't imagine ever needing more than one at a time.

Also, it may help to post VN stuff in the VN forum, as I only look at a few specific places, generally.

Jason

Jason

The arbor pictutred appears to have a center cut in it, correct? It looks like this arbor should be used with the ram support.

As for the 2 dead centers, they would be used typically on a dividing head to hold a part with a dog used to turn the part. Check the accessories catalog under the 10" dividing head page for an example. I can't imagine ever needing more than one at a time.

Also, it may help to post VN stuff in the VN forum, as I only look at a few specific places, generally.

Jason

Jason
Since these dead centers are in V2 tapers, for the spindle I would agree. Not knowing how the previous owners' used the centers maybe they rigged up something to use on the arbor support. Some older arbor supports used a dead center on the support and held onto the arbor through friction.

There has gotta be some photos around somewhere... Look at the Model 12 on page 10 part number J-224 is a dead center that is used in the arbor support. Could your parts be the same?

Attachments

• MODEL 12 OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS AND PARTS LIST VAN NORMAN.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Those pics are of the VN C taper, or Hardinge 5v. The dead center on the VN 12 support is not a C taper, I think is just straight. I'll do some digging latter on.

Jason

Jason and Reeltor,
Thanks very much for the input--I'm getting some of it figured out --thanks to you guys.

You're right-- the dead centers have a Van Norman C (V5) taper- just like my spindle--that's what confused me, because I couldn't see the point in chucking the dead center in the spindle. The pictures in the Van Norman "Attachments Arbors Accessories" Catalog, on page 1&2 (I attached the pages) show vertical and horizontal dividing heads--honestly I can't picture in my head exactly how these would work with my mill-- but dead centers are chucked in the spindle in the pictures--as you guys suggested-- so probably these are of little/no use to me since I don't have a Dividing head.

Jason: the arbor I have (pictured above) does have a dead center milled in the end of it-- so if I can get a dead center in the overarm support, the overarm would work to support the arbor for horizontal cutting. The arbor that is intended to work with the overhead is the middle one on the last pdf page below called "Pilot Type Style "C" Shank Arbor for Model No 16". The has a pilot straight shaft on the end that is 23/32" and this would fit perfectly in my live bearing in the overhead arm.

Anyways, thanks to both of you for the help-- eventually I'll get the stub arbor I have to work with the overhead arm with the live center pilot hole.
Much appreciated.
Bob

Attachments

• ATTACHMENTS, ARBORS, ACCESSORIES VAN NORMAN 4.pdf
    165.7 KB · Views: 6
  • ATTACHMENTS, ARBORS, ACCESSORIES VAN NORMAN 5.pdf
    88.1 KB · Views: 3
  • ARBOR VAN NORMAN 16.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 4
The dividing head would be considered an accessory, used to cut keyways, gears, angles, and anything else that would need to be at a precise angle.

I would be interested in one of those centers if your wanting to sell or trade one of them off.

On the ram support, it would probably be pretty easy to make a center to work. Chances of finding one are going to be slim, but possible.

Jason

Jason,
Sure I'll sell you one of them--
I'll be out of action until next Monday-- babysitting my two grandchildren (ages 1 and 5) with my wife-- harder than a real job!!
I'll get back to you.
Thanks for the info.
Bob

Jason,
I will sell the center to you, but I was just thinking that a trade might be better for both of us.
Do you have some tooling lying around that you don't need that a rookie like me might need/want?
Bob

Let's take this part of the conversation to private messages.

Jason

Back