Newbie here, looking to buy a used Sherline, advice requested......

Any buying tips would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you buy a 4400 only - long bed lathe with Imperial screws. Try to find a "modern" version with the red zero-set hand wheels. The entire lathe can be rebuilt at relatively low cost so if anything is wrong with the lathe, use that as bargaining leverage. Most lathes were purchased as packages so some tooling should come with it; grab all you can. If you can get a QCTP sized to the Sherline (A2Z, TS Engineering), that would be ideal.

Beyond that, it's just luck and price. Good luck, and welcome to HM!

Sherline's hold their value well, so it can be hard to find a really great deal on a used one.

I think Sherline is a better lathe, but if your budget is really tight you might take a look at Taig, they are quite a bit cheaper but still a well made little lathe, also made in the USA like Sherline.

You can get a basic Taig lathe package new for about $500, even less if you can provide your own motor. They also offer some kits where you have to finish some of the parts yourself, but those are even cheaper. Where it can really help your budget is that Taig's tooling is also significantly cheaper.

This savings does come with some cost, I have both and Sherline has a lot more finesse in their design, Taig is more of a no frills lathe but they do work well for many people.

Taig tools

Taig's website is pretty spartan, Nick Carter is a Taig reseller who has a far more useful website.

Carter tools

My apologies for not updating in a timely manner. I pulled the trigger on a used 4000, apparently quite old but by the pictures it appears to be in decent shape. The proof will be in the pudding when it arrives tomorrow. When I can get eyes on it I'll have a much better idea of the direction I need to go. In the mean time I've been reading everything I can about Sherlines so when it does arrive I have some familiarity with the tool.

I've barely scratched the surface and I'm very excited about this new endeavor. "Patience Grasshopper", said to self.....

My apologies for not updating in a timely manner. I pulled the trigger on a used 4000, apparently quite old but by the pictures it appears to be in decent shape. The proof will be in the pudding when it arrives tomorrow. When I can get eyes on it I'll have a much better idea of the direction I need to go. In the mean time I've been reading everything I can about Sherlines so when it does arrive I have some familiarity with the tool.

I've barely scratched the surface and I'm very excited about this new endeavor. "Patience Grasshopper", said to self.....

Nice thing with Sherline is they have maintained good backwards compatibility. On a very old Sherline you might not be able to get an identical replacement part, but they can help you pick a replacement part that will work.

With the exception of a small number, any Sherline tooling should work with any Sherline lathe, and they point out the few exceptions that could be an issue.

Once the lathe arrives I plan to do a cursory cleanup followed by a comprehensive cleanup & inspection. Are there any left handed fasteners?

Congratulations!
Pick up a copy of "Tabletop Machining" by Joe Martin.
I got mine used but Sherline sells it new because Joe Martin is Mr Sherline.
Great book, loaded with pics of the tooling, set-ups and a sales spiel like no other.

Thanks! I have a copy inbound.
I received the lathe and did an initial cleanup. Once the book arrives and I've become more familiar with it I'll dig deeper and do a more comprehensive cleanup, lube, and adjust.
IMG_4405.JPGIMG_4411.JPG

Back