Newbie here, looking to buy a used Sherline, advice requested......

Crow Horse

Registered
Registered
Greetings! I'm new here and looking to purchase a used Sherline. My budget is small so I'm looking at the #4000's but ideally would love to find a #4400. Locally and not so locally, finding a used one is impossible so I'm relegated to finding one online. Any buying tips would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, I'm not quite a newbie. I just retired after 11 years working in a large metal fabrication shop. Perhaps you've seen some of our products. We built most of the goal posts for the NFL and colleges around the country. Most of my time there I worked in the powder coating department but on some rare occasions I did help out in the machining dept.. I have operated a lathe and a mill, but these machines were set up for me by others and doing what I did a well trained monkey could have done. Now that I'm retired, I want to learn more (on a smaller scale) of lathe and milling. I'm focusing on getting a Sherline based on their reputation and what I want to be able to make are small brass pendulums. I'm sure other projects will spin off from this as I'm a hopeless confirmed "tinkerer", always trying to reinvent the wheel.

I have lots of homework to do, culling through the forum for info on lathes & Sherlines. I have no doubt that it'll take some time to come up to speed to be able to produce quality items, but it's not the destination that's important but rather it's the journey that is paramount.

Any info you can shoot my way will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance......

They are small so mailing one would not be much of an issue. That lets you search anywhere as long as they would ship.

searchtempest.com for most all Craigslist or eBay.

I would go used to save money

Yes, used is what I'm targeting. Finding them is like finding hen's teeth. I almost had one the other night but my bid got in just after the winning bid even though the winning bid and mine were the same. I was pretty disappointed. There's one on Ebay that I'm keeping an eye on. It's missing the tool post and doesn't have any tooling but does have a 3 jaw chuck and a drill chuck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Here is one in Wisconsin with searchtempest.com

for mill and lathe but you could ask if he will separate and ship

Back