Newbie and questions about an old 109....

Well good info so far, thanks.
In regards to the seller, I really think they have no clue, they sell estate items on Ebay for a living.
It is possible to use info I have here to leverage an even lower price.

Basically for it to be useful for me right off the bat I only need a straight shaft & decent chuck.
I guess I don't entirely understand the change gear situation, & for cutting threads up to this point I've used the chuck in my bench motor to hold very small steel rod that is cut by hand with dye, very small, fine threads that are typically only a few mm max in length. So I was really planning on keeping that method going, I wasn't planning on using the lathe for that.

Another angle on this is that I'm looking to get my feet wet with a metal lathe, am willing to learn, can't afford much more than $400ish now. I know the new Chinese lathes can be fine & cheap, but I don't want one. I surround myself with old things mostly, I only work on vintage instruments, I'm old skool. Might not make sense to everyone, but that's how it is!
By the way i would obviously be interested in a better machine, but all the "smoking Craigslist deals" of Atlas or South Bends sell before I can get to them. And this poor 109 has been sitting here for sale for a few months.
Mk

Even though I said 300 I wouldn't actually buy it for that much. That would be top dollar in my mind.

One of the biggest advantages of a screw cutting lathe is that it can cut screws and threads, accurately. Without the change gears and other tooling needed for that, you have lost that benefit and it would cost probably about as much as you are ready to offer to make it possible again. I and many of us here are also lovers of old machinery, but the trick is to know the difference between gems in the rough and scrap metal, and to understand what the total cost will be in time, effort, and money to get the machine to where you will eventually want it to be. The time and effort and money stage is also the time that you have a mostly unusable machine that is in your way instead of doing good work. A "plug and play" lathe is inherently much more valuable than a "basket case" because it makes inspection and inventory of all the parts much easier, and allows you to test what it can do as it is. Some parts of old machines are very hard to find, and quite pricey when found. If not available, they will need to be made from scratch. There are also labors of love, where time, money and effort are not considered. It seems you want to use this for your business, if I read your post correctly. Your candidate is distinctly lacking for your needs -- in my opinion...

I agree with your opinion of the small Chinese lathes, and they can cost a LOT of money beyond the initial purchase price to get them working the way you want them to.

Mk if you are still interested and have a dial indicator, or know someone that does, I would suggest that you at least check to see what the runout is of the head stock spindle. I read somewhere in the Atlas section of this forum that the 109 had a rather delicate spindle and could be bent if not treated with respect.

David

My first lathe was a long bed 109, just to learn the basics on. It was worth the $150 in 1982. But the one in the photo is pretty crapped out and vastly overpriced, imho. Problem with this lathe, as several have pointed out, is the headstock is a very small shaft running in sleeve bearings with total-loss oiling that was inadequate with the lathe was new. Wear is an inevitable factor.

There is barely any space for work to extend into the headstock -- 1/4" or so diameter if I recall --- and, although I cobbled up a small three-jaw (it was originally supplied with a small 4 jaw only) it never ran concentric. The gears are zerk metal (soft and prone to wear). There are so many new small lathes available for decent prices ...not that they may be perfect, either...look at little machine shop, grizzly, any Sherline dealer before you put money in this old lump.

My first lathe was a 109. It came with a bent spindle. Its only 1/2 x20 and bends very easily. I would rather take my chances with a used import.

I have had a 109 for years. it is not much good for precision work. there is alot of backlash,not very rigid,etc. there are websites that show how to improve them somewhat, but really still not a great machine. it does have some uses. i use it primarily for polishing or even turning small wood, aluminum, brass or plastic that might get eaten on my bigger lathe.if you could get that for about 300 or less it might be valuable. good luk.

Well, looks like the consensus here is to walk away from this one! Can of worms, as they say. I'm still looking around locally, hopefully I can turn up something better.

Mk

I have one and I like it BUT I paid 260 for it without motor and it was in great condition. The spindle is the weak point and there are other lathes that would be better for your 1st lathe. all imo, don

Well guess what? This is really kind of amusing. ANOTHER 109 just showed up on the local Craigslist, this one almost certainly needs some love BUT the starting price is way way lower and he's taking offers.
So, I just want to run a few things by ya'll.
I was already aware of the weak spindle and related bearings on these. It looks like I can get a brand new spindle for $95 and bearings for about $50.
Also noticed change gears were available from several sources, I can always pick these up as I need them.

Just to get the thing running, for my needs, besides a full teardown/cleaning/lube/grease/new spindle/bearings/motor belt/proper Jacobs chuck, what else would I need? I know once I want to do more advanced projects I'll I have to get more stuff.......

But if I can get this other machine cheap cheap, and drop a few hundred in to a new spindle and bearings, get it all clean/adjusted etc, wouldn't it be a good starting point? I mean heck, I might be able to get this machine for $100 or something. Who knows.

I know they're not great, but, its what keeps showing up, and I'm willing to fiddle, plus what I need it for isn't super heavy duty machinist work any way.

Mk

Back