Newbie and questions about an old 109....

abracadabra

Registered
Registered
Howdy folks! My first post here. Perhaps a little back story would help:

I'm a musician and have also been repairing musical instruments for many years. In the last 10 years I've been focusing on woodwind instruments and in my workshop I"ve used extensively what we instrument repairers call a "bench motor". This is basically a tool made for the industry that is usually a 1/4 or 1/2 HP motor with extended hollow shaft and chuck. The modern models (only a few are made) also have variable speed and a hand brake.
With the bench motor I've been able to do alot of things, but I've always known at some point I would need a real lathe to do more intensive repairs, as well as being able to make more of my own tooling.

I've posted about this on more appropriate musical specific forums and have learned alot, but, I haven't found a single person who had anything to say about the old Craftsman 109's!

Most modern repair folks will have a bench motor and/or a modern mini lathe. The mini lathe can do most things a bench motor can do, and more. But it doesn't allow for larger repairs and also isn't useful for toolmaking.

Which leads me to looking for something bigger than a Unimat or watchmakers lathe (although I was at first very interested in both of these!).

Locally I've found a 109 that has quite a bit of extra "stuff" with it. I went to look in person and couldn't really make heads or tails of much, being a newbie and all, but it looked complete and just needing to be cleaned up etc.

I'm posting here because I'd like some opinions on this machine. First off I know full well the varied reputation of the 109, I've searched the internet and have read that most folks don't think much of this machine but there are some who think its serviceable if its downsides are realized.

So, its good to note that I won't be doing typical "machinist" work with it. Alot of the work will be things I might do with a bench motor, straightening key rods, facing things, making new rods with dyes, etc. For me the size is a positive because it would also allow me to make some more tools as needed.

I'm going to link to the Ebay listing for this specific machine. If you look through the pics, what do you see? One thing I noticed is that it has an extra set of pulleys, when I search for images of the 109 I only ever see it with a motor belted directly to the machine.......also it seems the extra pulley is 1/2" and isn't the stock set up 3/8"?

I know for sure after meeting with the seller in person that I can make a cash offer quite a bit lower than the asking price.
Also I have no issues at all with having to overhaul/clean/set up/etc this machine, in fact I look forward to it.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated! If I end up getting this I'm sure I'll have alot more to ask.

I just realized I can't post a link to the Ebay listing. So, I guess I'll just have to have opinions based on what I've posted!

Thanks,

MK

Oh also I realized maybe I didn't post in the best area, if anyone thinks this should be moved, lets do it!

Mk

That's a lot of money for a 109. I wouldn't pay more then 300 for that one I think.i have a 109 and paid 200 with all the gears. I don't see the threading gears which means you can't do threads without buying the gears. You could buy a new mini lathe for less then that price. A 109 works but I think a Chinese mini lathe would be easier to start learning on. Plus the 109 has solid bearings. If they are worn you will need to replace them and you may have no way of knowing if they are good before you buy it.

To my mind, which is highly wary of all eBay ads, especially machinery ads, there are problems with this listing. Most of the accessories shown do not relate to the lathe at all, are not complete, and look neglected. I think that was probably done on purpose, to attract people with little knowledge of what they are buying. As noted, the change gear set is missing, except for one gear. There is actually barely enough tooling there to run the lathe. The item condition says
“The lathe powers up and all parts turn as they should.”
That is the only statement in the ad that says anything about the lathe, and that is all that eBay will support if push comes to shove. I have no idea how a table saw fence will work with the lathe. There are two drill chucks without arbors, and no statement of fitness for purpose. And more. If you can get a knowledgeable machinist to go with you to inspect the lathe and give you his impressions, that might help, otherwise I would personally walk away. Even the price you are considering offering for the lathe seems too high to me for what I see there. The only caveat is that you do not really seem to want to machine much metal with it, which perhaps makes it more useful, but not at the price you are suggesting -- in my opinion, long distance, and from a different viewpoint.

Back