New tool storage

And Randy notice map storage is the first thing on that companies list of usage :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ok, Ok, you're correct Jeff, they are flat files for large documents. But take note, your ingenuity for use is not listed, or wait is it the "and more" part? :think1:

All kidding aside, you can put a lot of stuff in those drawers. Just be sure the slides can take the weight as it can add up quickly as I am not sure this is a use they specifically had in mind. Great idea though. Thanks for posting.

Ok, Ok, you're correct Jeff, they are flat files for large documents. But take note, your ingenuity for use is not listed, or wait is it the "and more" part? :think1:

All kidding aside, you can put a lot of stuff in those drawers. Just be sure the slides can take the weight as it can add up quickly as I am not sure this is a use they specifically had in mind. Great idea though. Thanks for posting.

Thanks man :)). I was worried about the weight also. Last night I put all of my TIG filler rods in one of the drawers. I think they are 5lbs tubes (maybe 3lbs) with most of them steel or stainless. 14 packs of them and the drawer still slides nice and smooth. It has got to be better than 50lbs. I think the trick is the weight has to be spread out. I don't think they would handle that kind of weight right in the middle.

Jeff

Where I used to work we used those cabinets to store overlay's for the compairitors.

Thanks man :)). I was worried about the weight also. Last night I put all of my TIG filler rods in one of the drawers. I think they are 5lbs tubes (maybe 3lbs) with most of them steel or stainless. 14 packs of them and the drawer still slides nice and smooth. It has got to be better than 50lbs. I think the trick is the weight has to be spread out. I don't think they would handle that kind of weight right in the middle.

Jeff

We used the for all our blueprints and drawings at GM and yes they were heavy. They were large prints almost the full size of the drawers and a good 1 1/2" thick.

Todd

Were I work, our master blue prints are stored in those, sweet find.

Now I really feel old...I've been in the engineering/architectural industry for over 40 years...and we always called those things "Flat Files". I've owned and used many of those both made of metal like the ones you have and some made of oak. I even inherited a set from an engineer I worked for that dated back to the 1890's. We kept all of our building project drawings in them, usually 30"x42" sheets but up to 36" x 48" sheets. Usually the drawers were full of original vellums or sepias, the "original" drawings that copies were made from prior to computer storage and printing....remember blue-lines and ammonia printing? Then there were the "hanging files"...but that's another story.

These are good storage if you have room for them. And there should be some around to be had as these days "original" drawings on paper no longer exist in today's engineering or architectural offices. Today everything is CAD and hard drive or cloud storage.

Now I really feel old...I've been in the engineering/architectural industry for over 40 years...and we always called those things "Flat Files". I've owned and used many of those both made of metal like the ones you have and some made of oak. I even inherited a set from an engineer I worked for that dated back to the 1890's. We kept all of our building project drawings in them, usually 30"x42" sheets but up to 36" x 48" sheets. Usually the drawers were full of original vellums or sepias, the "original" drawings that copies were made from prior to computer storage and printing....remember blue-lines and ammonia printing? Then there were the "hanging files"...but that's another story.

These are good storage if you have room for them. And there should be some around to be had as these days "original" drawings on paper no longer exist in today's engineering or architectural offices. Today everything is CAD and hard drive or cloud storage.

I saw a number of those sell at the bankruptcy auction of a local steel fabricator last year. At least $200 each.

remember blue-lines and ammonia printing?

I bought ammonia (28 degrees Baumé) in 50 liters tanks :D
When the ammonia was too weak for printing, it was still more concentrated than the one available at the groceries for floor cleaning, and I became the supplier of many grateful housewives…
I still have many rolls of tracing paper, too. They are useful when I have to "print" something too large for my printer but which don't require a lot of precision, like decorative shapes: I copy them directly from the screen with a sharpie.
About the drawing/maps drawers, a good way to keep bits and other round things inside them is to use a "corrugated foam" sheet, the type used for soundproofing, so things don't roll. There are hundreds of types of it, some even fireproof.

love this site, I was just given one of those cabinets, 1st thought was great storage. I ended up making a frame and top so its a bench on wheels, love it so far and its only half full

Back