New tool storage

churchjw

Active User
Registered
I just picked up two larger steel map cases. They measure outside 44" deep and 54" wide. The two stacked are 35" with a total of 10 draws each about 2" deep. The inside usable space is a little smaller. I put 50lbs of weight in a draw and it still slides easy so it should be good for tools. My shop is small so not a lot of need for roll around tool boxes the three I have are plenty. My plan is to do one draw for all my wrenches, sockets, drivers, and pliers, Then one for all my screwdrivers, punches ect.. I am going to wait till after Christmas to make the boards to organize the tools in each draw. I figured by then I will have everything moved to where I want it.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

I have two more smaller ones that will be the base for my new electronics bench. Should hold most all of my components.

Jeff

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

Those are an excellent find, Jeff, do you know what they were originally used for?

Dave

Those are an excellent find, Jeff, do you know what they were originally used for?

Dave

He said maps, which means he doesn't. Let's see if someone else knows, only us old-timers recognize them. I guess I am assuming you already know.

Easy there Randy. Some of us that know what these are don't like to be classified as "old timers"! Shoot fire, I'm only 54 and I know what those are for. In fact I see some every day. I wonder if they would sell me some of the smaller ones in the warehouse?!???

:rofl: You may not like it JS doesn't mean it ain't so. I too am 54. :winner: Looks like Righto88 knows the answer. How old do you suppose he is?

WOW! Just did a search and they still sell them new. See here

Last edited:
Yes, you are right they are drafting cases but these came out of the local university map library so I just went with that. One of my jobs in high school was working at a drafting shop doing drawings and they had the same style cases only theirs were supper cool oak.

Jeff

LOL I didn't pay what the new ones cost. Dang, I am betting the ones I got were heaver steel as well. They weight 250lbs each. And Randy notice map storage is the first thing on that companies list of usage :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yep, document cases (and I'm 46) but always love those cabinets and have wanted to find a nice set as our friend Jeff has.
How does the saying go in this forum when someone finds a good deal? YOU SUCK Jeff! :LOL:

Still looking.... lol!
Dave

I used to be a draughtsman before computers/cad and drawing cabinets were never that large. Usually they were just oversize of an E size drawing which was 36x48. Maybe they are map cabinets?

Back