New (to me) South Bend 13 w/original paperwork

WelderJosh

Registered
Registered
I picked this 13 up at an auction for $505.00 here in the Pacific Northwest. Saved it from a school that was being demolished and rebuilt. Anyway, it came with several paper copies of original documentation. Is the paperwork worth anything?

Attachments

• IMG_6539.jpeg
    IMG_6539.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6542.jpeg
    IMG_6542.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6538.jpeg
    IMG_6538.jpeg
    737.7 KB · Views: 47
  • image000003.jpeg
    image000003.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 39
Congratulations!!

Well Done!
What kind of condition is the lathe in, operationally? Even if it is worn out there is probably at least $500 worth of parts on it, and the scrap metal value of the rest.
As for the paperwork, what is in the picture appears to be kind of generic stuff that can be found on the Internet so probably not much value there unless you find someone who really prefers the paper copies. Any documentation that pertains to your exact lathe, bill of sale, etc. would help enhance the value of the lathe and shouldn't be separated from it unless the lathe is to be dismantled our scrapped.
Do you plan on keeping and using it? It is probably worth way more than you paid for it (if functional), especially in "machine poor" areas of the country such as the upper great plains.
Please post more pictures and info when you get a chance

That's a very good price- and it looks to be in good shape too
-M

Very good price!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/708485693776349

The thing about school machines, depending on whether the school got it new or not, is they tend to be somewhat battered but have very little actual wear. Dings and divots in the ways near the chuck and on the leading edge of the carriage/compound are the most likely indignities.

Well Done!
What kind of condition is the lathe in, operationally? Even if it is worn out there is probably at least $500 worth of parts on it, and the scrap metal value of the rest.
As for the paperwork, what is in the picture appears to be kind of generic stuff that can be found on the Internet so probably not much value there unless you find someone who really prefers the paper copies. Any documentation that pertains to your exact lathe, bill of sale, etc. would help enhance the value of the lathe and shouldn't be separated from it unless the lathe is to be dismantled our scrapped.
Do you plan on keeping and using it? It is probably worth way more than you paid for it (if functional), especially in "machine poor" areas of the country such as the upper great plains.
Please post more pictures and info when you get a chance
Thanks for the advice, it is in really good shape. Around here I think they go for $2,500 - $4,000. It's a 13 x 40, Quick Change Gear (QCG), Friction Feed Apron, Underneath Motor Drive (UMD), Large Spindle Hole,Standard Swing. We searched the school shop for a taper attachment, steady & follow rest, but didn't find anything but a 4 jaw chuck which was a bonus at least.
I'll post a few more pics when I get sec.

Very good price!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/708485693776349

The thing about school machines, depending on whether the school got it new or not, is they tend to be somewhat battered but have very little actual wear. Dings and divots in the ways near the chuck and on the leading edge of the carriage/compound are the most likely indignities.
Yep, that about describes. The rear of the ways still have some of the original flame hardening markings.

Back