New "To Me" JET JVM-840

edianv

Registered
Registered
Hi folks.
I recently got my hands on a JET JVM-840 mill built in 1981. This poor girl had been sitting neglected for more than 10 years in the wettest corner of the machine shop where I work, collecting dust, rust and everything else you can think of. I'm not a machinist by trade but I do enjoy working and fixing stuff in my shop (two car garage). I've wanted a mill for a while and when I saw the opportunity to take this baby home for $0.00 I couldn't resist, even in her condition. At some point our safety department tagged her "Out of service" due to a fried motor and put some Danger tape and hung a Caution sign on her. Then, some cruel human being marked her with an orange "X" on the column. I know, it breaks my heart too. :(
Try not to cry too much but she does look pretty rough. Oh, ignore the hose spigot handle someone added to replace the switch knob, I think that was for added precision. The mill did not come with a power feed, DRO or any tooling but she did come with a rusty/seized machinist vise which was sitting on the table under the caution sign. The label on the vise is missing and it has no other markings but it appears to be from the same era. I'll be restoring that too when I get to that point. As you can probably guess by now, my goal is to restore/rebuild this poor thing back to some similarity of what it use to be 40 years ago. Well, to the best of my ability. I don't know how I feel about scraping the ways if she needs it, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. That's a problem for future me and present me is happy dreaming I won't need to. :D
I've been doing a lot of research and so far I've found a few other very similar machines from various manufacturers.
  • E.M.E VO-A2F
  • Myford VM-F
  • Grizzly has several but I think the G0695 is the closest relative
  • Ko-Shin KF-VO-A2F
  • Sharp KF-VO-A2F
I'm sure there are others out there but looking at the pictures and drawings I've seen, I believe the Ko-Shin, the Sharp and the Grizzly G0695 are the closest match since they share the ram and motor location. I was also able to buy a manual online from Ozark Tool Manuals. Anyway, I think I've bored you folks enough. Here are a couple of pictures I took when I went to pick it up. More pictures of the teardown to follow. Looking forward to this project.

IMG_20191230_144644009.jpg IMG_20191227_164208677.jpg IMG_20191227_141642690.jpg

Last edited:
No need to wrap it up with tape and spray it , just lock it out ! :) Nice find on the mill Edianv . :encourage:

Oh that poor machine, Glad you are rescuing it, I hate to see old iron go to the scrappers. Keep us posted with pics along the way as you work on it.

Nice score! I did a restore on a similar machine to yours a few years ago. Mine doesn't have the ram and maybe table is a little smaller. Looks like all the machine is there to start with. Good luck with the project!

Radials,
This is the first time I saw your restoration.
Beautiful job. I love the belt adjustment and oil pump stand offs.
Is the mill working for you?

Radials,
This is the first time I saw your restoration.
Beautiful job. I love the belt adjustment and oil pump stand offs.
Is the mill working for you?
Yes the mill has been for the most part been working well. The belt adjuster works very well and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. There is a list of modifications and upgrades I still need to get to with it that for some will require disassembling it again. I intend to flake some of the sliding surfaces for better oil retention, add a head riser, and modify the knee lead screw to have a bronze nut instead of just the cast iron one on it now. The oil system could also be improved to actually get oil more places its needed. My power feed still doesn't have the kill switches installed nor are there hard stops on the table/ saddle so I have to be mindful not to run anything into itself. Now that I have the second mill (Tormach 770m) it'll be possible to make some of these parts with the mill disassembled once again. I'm trying to get the whole project organized so I can perhaps do it all in one big go when the time comes.

Back