New to me Craftsman Commercial 12x36

I caught a good deal on flea bay for $75 for the Full set.
They usually go for twice that if not more.

Didn't come with any shims, so I just went to Grainger and picked them up for a few dollars.
I've used them quit a bit for lock collars and pulleys I've made.

12-16-14

Dear Roadie33:

I understand your situation. You may find a compatable gear from McMaster-Carr - Chicago, ILL. Several
years ago a friend brought in a broken gear from a South Bend lathe. This large gear was the gear next to the belt
drive & had several broken teeth. I ordered a compatable gear from McMaster-Carr and broached a keyway
in it. This gear worked very well. You need to determine the diametrial pitch ( size may be 16 pitch but not certain ) and the number of teeth. If the gear is a bit too wide you can machine off the unneeded width. Also if the hole in the gear is too small
you can bore it out to size. If the gear hole is too large you can machine a collar to fiit tight & attach w/ screws) & bore out
the hole to the correct shaft size.

If you have any further questions please feel free to respond to this site and
I will help you any way I can. NOTE: Be certain the pitch before you order. If you have a gear pitch guage( or borrow from someone)
check the size. :))

Regards,

jbollman

Broaching a key slot in a gear, on the lathe.
I rigged up a lever-operated slotting cutter using a spare tool rest and a boring bar and some pieces of steel from the scrap bin.

SC, I really like your compound style keyway broach, I've been wanting to make something similar but this would really save a lot of building time, and would be much simpler. Thank you so much for the pictures!

Can you turn using the lever compound? Like if you had a lot of parts to make, it might be nicer to move a lever than fumble around with a tiny crank.

Thanks!

Andre:
I think using the lever as an advance for turning would be rather clumsy. It is really difficult to get an exact change in position, and certainly not repeatable unless the movement was to a stop.
That mechanism I rigged up was done rather quick and dirty and leaves a lot to be desired in precision of the moving parts. It maintains reasonable accuracy used for purpose for which it was built though. I have to be judicious adjusting the gib screws and need to lubricate the slide liberally and often using way oil.

I am not at home now and do not have good access to the photo album; will try posting a wider view of the assembly later.

Ordered a QCTP from CDCO and it came in today. Yipee.

545.jpg

But now I have to buy some End Mills to mill down the T-Nut to fit.

545.jpg

545.jpg

545.jpg

Ordered a QCTP from CDCO and it came in today. Yipee.

545.jpg

But now I have to buy some End Mills to mill down the T-Nut to fit.

did mine with a lathe and a hacksaw.
No milling.
Do you have a mill, or are you milling on the lathe?

545.jpg

545.jpg

545.jpg

Just milling on the Lathe, I have the Milling attachment for it.
It works pretty good. Did some key ways in shafts that turned out great.

I wish I had a Mill.

.....But now I have to buy some End Mills to mill down the T-Nut to fit.

I used a length of ground flat bar: 1" x 5/16" x 2.75". Drilled and tapped a 9/16" hole in the middle, turned and threaded a length of round stock on both ends for the bolt leaving a small flange to tighten against at the flat bar end. No milling! A drop of LocTite when threading the bolt into the flat bar and in more than 4 years it hasn't come loose yet.

QCTP_mount_a.JPGQCTP_mount_b.JPGQCTP_Mount-1.JPG

...I wish I had a Mill.

Ditto

It seems there are two items that have taken up permanent residence on my "Wish" list:

• Verticle Mill
  • TIG welder

The only way to get them off that list is to procure them.

Maybe a-la Janis Joplin?
"Oh Lord! Won't you buy me a verticle mill? My friends all have Bridgeports, I need to make things square!"

QCTP_mount_a.JPG QCTP_mount_b.JPG QCTP_Mount-1.JPG

Just milling on the Lathe, I have the Milling attachment for it.
It works pretty good. Did some key ways in shafts that turned out great.

I wish I had a Mill.

Yeah, I am sure it worked well, I wish l had a mill too, even a stout bench one.

I just made mine in the lathe, out of some thick round stock, and sawed the ears off with a hack saw, cleaned up with a file and sander.

DSCF0733 save.JPG DSCF0734 Save.JPG DSCF0741 Save.JPG DSCF0742 Save.JPG DSCF0700 T Nut Save.JPG DSCF0704 T Nut Save.jpg

Last edited:
Back