New To Me 11" Logan 920

Bear -
Was suggested to me on prior page I hunt down a steady rest.
Follow rest would likely be even more useful.
Which is to say - yes - highly interested.
Thank you.

Curious - did you move to a collet chuck?

Plan currently is to do a deep clean, lube and assembly.
Will have a better sense of how the machine operates once I am up and running.

This Logan was the first lathe I bought... quite a few years ago. It is terribly worn out... the ways are badly worn and ALL of the QCGB gears are worn to nubs... I started to attempt to rebuild it at one time, but eventually realized that it needs way too much to make a rebuild worthwhile.

I've considered parting it out... IDK yet... it's not in my way and not costing me any money to sit there, so... there it sits...

-Bear

When I bought it, it came with a 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck, the collet adapter, the collet closer (in extremely bad shape), steady rest, 2 follow rests, face plate, and I don't remember what else. There is a couple of boxes of parts and 'stuff' with it.

This one is newer than yours, I think... it is mounted on a steel cabinet with an underdrive system in the cabinet, rather than having the legs.

-Bear

I've considered parting it out... IDK yet... it's not in my way and not costing me any money to sit there, so... there it sits..
Makes sense.

This Logan was the first lathe I bought...
Well - I suppose we have that in common then.
Almost scared to ask what it leads to...
Thanks for the kind offer on rummaging through the parts box to help me complete mine.

Funny - when I was terrain down the lathe today in the sellers garage - he was simultaneously looking for parts and throwing out old stuff.
One thing that kept occurring was - he would find a box of some item (radiator hose for example) and it would have the old worn out one put back in to the box and put back on the shelf.
Happened 2 or 3 times.
Got me thinking...

So I went back and looked at the parts/tools that came with my lathe.
Sure enough - one of the parts was in fact a nut for the cross feed screw - completely used up.
Owner must have replaced it - but kept the old one.
Then I noticed I also had a set of large bearings.
Quick check confirmed they are spindle bearings.
Used.
I suspect the owner has replaced the spindle bearings at some point.
Luckily - it appears my QCGB gears are in nice shape - though I will have a closer inspection when I clean.

Ok - spent the day cleaning and inspecting.
I left the gears in - but used a pick and some spray to clean each tooth.
Scrubbed the cases inside and out.
Found a few things that will need repair/servicing.
The good news is - having cleaned each tooth - I did not find any scarred or missing teeth in the headstock.

Could use some insights/suggestions on the cross feed tho.
The compound feed - smallest one that can be swiveled - was frozen.
Weirdly - of one of the the three gib screws was run way in - very tight.
I loosened them and it moves - though a bit stiffly.
Also noticed it had been dropped previously and chipped.

Questions:
1. Any thoughts on why someone would run one of the gib screws in to the point of seizing the compound slide in place?
2. Some significant backlash in that slide. Perhaps related - but I don't get the tighten until you can't move it approach. How is backlash adjusted on these?
3. How can I disassemble the compound slide off the saddle?

Pretty nasty chip off the compound was hiding under the tool holder.IMG_3221 2.JPG

Blind man with a stick put this paint on. Would really like to address - but think its better to get up and running to figure out if anything else needs servicing prior to a full disassembly. IMG_3218.JPG

The PO may have used the gib screw as a lock (assuming the compound doesn't have a dedicated lock screw). No big deal.

The broken T-slot is common enough. Maybe from over tightening. Maybe from a crash. Repair is possible or maybe you can find a replacement.
Would not be the worst sin to run it like that.

Backlash isn't "adjustable" there. Due to nut wear an/or screw wear. If backlash is unacceptable, new parts are in order. Get the lathe running and contributors can walk you through making replacements.

The PO may have used the gib screw as a lock (assuming the compound doesn't have a dedicated lock screw). No big deal.

The broken T-slot is common enough. Maybe from over tightening. Maybe from a crash. Repair is possible or maybe you can find a replacement.
Would not be the worst sin to run it like that.

Backlash isn't "adjustable" there. Due to nut wear an/or screw wear. If backlash is unacceptable, new parts are in order. Get the lathe running and contributors can walk you through making replacements.
Thanks Extropic.
Another brick in the wall...
- Makes sense it was "locked" by prior owner. Clearly it was run in much further than the others, so not by accident.
- Not so worried about the chipped portion either. It's a war out there - sometimes you take a bullet... That said - Bear if you are reading...
- Ok - not adjustable. Like the idea of making my own replacement nut to diminish backlash. Will stay on track getting up and running first.

In the meantime, can anyone can advise on how I can remove the compound slide - so I can clean it's ways from the sticky ancient grease - would be appreciated.

An aside - I might still be most excited about the "Roebucks" coveralls that came with the mill! Talk about well tooled.IMG_3210 2.JPG

Disclaimer: I don't know the Logan 920 specifically so my "how to" is based on general experience. Hopefully, a Logan expert will straighten us out.
To remove the top slide, remove the gib screws and slide out the gib. wind the handwheel until the screw disengages from the nut.
Remove the fasteners that lock the compound pivot to the cross slide to remove the compound base.

Disclaimer: I don't know the Logan 920 specifically so my "how to" is based on general experience. Hopefully, a Logan expert will straighten us out.
To remove the top slide, remove the gib screws and slide out the gib. wind the handwheel until the screw disengages from the nut.
Remove the fasteners that lock the compound pivot to the cross slide to remove the compound base.
Having read that - suspect you probably have it right from similar experience. Probably enough of a head start, at minimum, that if there are any other tricky screws holding me back - I will find them relatively easily. Thanks for quick response.

BTW - my serial number is 54764.
That appears to make it a 1951 - if I read the Logan chart correctly (which I am not absolutely certain I did).
I'll have that now as reference here in my thread.

Back