New to machining! Need info on a milling machine I purchased!

Aw, Bob ... you're so old fashioned.
Oh yes, of course. And I have the the thinning white hair to prove it... Very happy to be here to discuss it. I much prefer faithful restorations over hot rods. With true restorations I think they should be true restorations, perhaps not an issue with the machine being discussed here...

Aw come on now I like a metallic bronze myself. Or two tone with cream color with it. Like my old blazer best DERN auto I ever owned k5 Silverado. 4 x 4 . It just ran and never stopped or got stuck. Went thru green sand marl with water over the hood. I thought I was sunk but I backed up and it stopped dropped her down to low low first gear and she just plowed thru and out. YUPP I like bronze and cream color .

Smoke gray is my choice as well. Any other color might as well be pink... ;)

I went to look at a Sheldon lathe complete with stand once that was painted pink. The guy selling it said that it came out of a shop where they had two of them. The other was painted canary yellow. The shop owner's thinking was that way it would show grime better and thus easier to clean.

It was a little large for me but when I first saw it I was tempted. Then I discovered that the seller's father had stored two bags of rock salt on the ways which had gotten wet. A good technique for corroding ways if you want to try it.

If you find another lathe like that give me a holler. If I may ask how much did they cost . I need to go to that junkyard. I'm close about an hrs south of you.
Oh welcome to the site , I'm disabled in a wheelchair but down waiting for spine surgery . Maybe if I get out of pain and getting around ill see ya. If you need help ill do what I can. Lots of experience in many areas.
If i told you what i paid you would call me a lie! But I'll spill the beans anyway... I scored the pair of them for $700!

As a new machinist, your going to have your hands full just getting them home and set up. Good luck on getting those going. Are you up on your 3 phase power?

Back