New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

The red poly cracked off the wheels of my hydraulic table last year. Worthless material, looks good but fails quickly. Couldn't understand why the loaded table was so tough to move - that's because the poly was breaking up and becoming a wheel chock. Won't ever buy poly coated wheels again.

The red poly cracked off the wheels of my hydraulic table last year. Worthless material, looks good but fails quickly. Couldn't understand why the loaded table was so tough to move - that's because the poly was breaking up and becoming a wheel chock. Won't ever buy poly coated wheels again.
Even before breaking up, or massively deforming as this one did, these tend to flatten fairly quickly (like overnight) with significant weight on them. That flat spot makes it hard to roll something. I was trying to move machines into final position with a pry bar when I realized this had happened.

@woodchucker should appreciate this.

Rated for 6 Tons. Chinese tons I guess. Moving a 4-5 ton lathe, weight spread over three of them ...
View attachment 412269

I think I'll cut the red polyurethane cylinder off all 4 wheels, and just run steel on concrete. Might mar the concrete a bit, but I bet it rolls better.
The problem is the you bought the model with 'Double Bubble' tires. LOL

Got the granite table in place, bit of pushing with the tractor, some with a pry bar. This puts all of the large machines (>5,000lb) where I think I want them, but I'm leaving them on 4x4's for a day or two before setting everything on leveling pads, give me a little time to decide if it feels right. The lathe bed is not quite parallel to the back wall, it angle in a bit at the tailstock end, but I think it'll work best that way as the headstock has the lathe electrical cabinet behind it. I left a bit more than 3' behind the lathe, easy to walk behind it, and I'll probably put shelves on the wall to store various things (primarily lathe and mill related things). The three phase electrical still needs several days of work to be functional.

One idea from Abom79, the mill table, if moved all the way to the left, would be in the right position to put a steady rest on for something longer than the lathe bed.

Attachments

• IMG_4646.JPG
    IMG_4646.JPG
    425.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4647.JPG
    IMG_4647.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4648.JPG
    IMG_4648.JPG
    353.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Uh , rab , that is quite a hunk of granite ! :grin: I'll have to show that pic to my wife , tell her it could be worse here ! :laughing:

One idea from Abom79, the mill table, if moved all the way to the left, would be in the right position to put a steady rest on for something longer than the lathe bed.
that was out the spindle side of the lathe, not the tailstock.

Back