New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

@rabler

May was not a great month for you but you've made nice progress on the shop.

Glad to hear your Dad's injuries aren't permanent.

Not to minimize the Dad thing, but I'm particularly curious how a horse goes about breaking it's own jaw. Can you share some details?

Regarding the granite/stand: IIRC, there is a granite that, at one time, you intended to put inside the office. Is the new stand for that granite or a different one?
Thanks. Just talked to my father. He’s still stiff and sore but has his mental faculties back, as well as his enthusiasm. The Bobcat does need a new engine.

May wasn’t bad until the last few days, just a lot all at once.

I can only speculate on the horse’s jaw. One of the other horses got out which generally gets them a bit more agitated, but more often in a more playful way than aggressive. There was still a fence line between them. My guess is it, like Jeff’s neighbor, involved a fence post. He was our favorite riding horse unfortunately. He would stop moving if the rider wasn’t well balanced (aka unstable and likely to fall). Great horse with kids. His sire lived to be 36, this one was 21.

The granite plate in the office is 3’ x 4’, this is a different one. At a bit over 84“ x 55” (it was a Zeiss? CMM so metric), this would not fit in the office. I’m obviously overly impressed by big heavy things. ;)

Horses are trigger quick and are motivated by fear. I've seen a horse trying to dodge some perceived demon do a right angle spin faster than a blink and slam its head right into a barn post. I've never had one break a jaw, but that horse was pretty dazed for a few minutes. I had to put down my last two mares not too long ago. The older one was thirty; I got her when she was two. The other was pushing thirty; got her when she was four. Sorry about your loss, Randal. I've owned and trained many horses over the years, but those two were like family. Both are buried on the farm.

And, of course, the horse trauma pales into insignificance compared to what could have been a far worse tragedy with your father. Being out a Bobcat engine is a pretty cheap price to pay compared to what it could have been. Glad his injuries are not life-altering.

And if you end up coming to Atlanta, send me a P-M. There are a handful of us down in this area. Maybe some of us could meet face-to-face.

Regards
Sorry to hear about your mares. We had just decided we aren’t going to do any more breeding going forward.

I was out helping geld several young untrained (as in never haltered) cutting horse stallions near Savannah a few years back. Talk about scary fast reactions and spooky …

I’ll keep that in mind as far if I make it down to Georgia.

Looks like a new litter of cats, I assume they will be your mousers? Man you are tall Randall, that 10ee is a little too tall for me :grin:... is that up on the frame to work on the bottom?
Mousers, but also trying to socialize them so we can catch them at 5 months to be fixed. The stray cat population at the barns is a challenge to stay ahead of.

Yes, I built a frame to elevate the 10EE to work on it. Still need to decide on how I will proceed on that, but I can put that off for quite a while as getting the new shop in order is going to take a while yet.

I use to joke with my wife about having “big building envy”. Now that I’m trying to organize things as I move stuff in, I’m worried the building size will exceed my brain’s capacity to remember where things should be.

Very sorry to hear of your fathers accident. I will pray for a quick and complete recovery.

Horses can get into things that just make you shake your head. I have had my fair share of them over the years. We went the worst way, all Morgan show horses. Never again. I have seen horses look act like a DUI driver and ram into objects at a full gallop when in the flight mode. I have also seen horses hurt by a kick from another horse. Hard to say. Sorry for the loss. Our animals have always been like our children as we don't have any of our own. So I understand how you may feel.

The shop is looking really good. A lot of work to build, outfit and stock, but will be well worth it when it is finished. That is if there is such a thing in our world. LOL

Prayers and good wishes to you and the family.

Randle, Sorry to read about all the bad stuff. Glad your dad is doing well, bummer about the BobCat but it will live again.

I'm really sorry about your horse. Man that's got to be tough. :(

Tim

Nice work, that should support it very well. With the wheels fixed, how will you steer it?

Nice work, that should support it very well. With the wheels fixed, how will you steer it?
It is not obvious from the picture, but the front wheel pivots on a black nylon bearing. I will need to add some sort of easy way to attach a steering lever, something like an airplane towbar. I don’t foresee moving this very often, it is still going to be a challenge even with the rollers.

Round black nylon puck is a little easier to see here. Rings around the outside of the nylon are from where the drill bit grabbed and it spun in the lathe chuck. 1” diameter center stub shaft from the leg through the caster.
87CEE5E4-D0CE-4886-97E6-8F89D249A596.jpeg

My biggest concern with the three legged stand is the granite tipping. Worst case is that I have a little more than 13” from the center mass of the table to the perimeter of the support triangle in the direction of the front corners of the table. The corners are a fraction over 50” from center. So for a 7000lb slab it would take a bit over 2400lbs at the corner to tip it. That is safe enough for human weight ranges to not tip it, assuming I did not mess up my geometry and physics.

Back