New Shop time!

I understand, I was thinking that a good welder takes a 50 Amp circuit add some lights and what not. I just think your cutting yourself a little short at 60 Amps.

Tim

Under slab insulation and piping for slab heat would be worth it in the long run, even if you don't install the rest of the stuff for hydroponic (?) heating straight away. As much insulation as you can fit in the walls and ceiling will keep you and the machines comfortable. Maybe a "hole in the wall" for adding a minisplit later, depends on heating vs. cooling needs though.

I'd also add a couple of 220V circuits at the back of the shop and one on each side of the main door too. You might not have 220V machines now, but it's more than possible that you will in the lifetime of you using the building.

Plan for how you'll use the walls and ceiling for storage, you can free up an awful lot of floorspace if you're clever.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope 2021 will be an improvement for all of us.

Triple cost for building materials is crazy. I wonder if the prices will ever come down to approximately pre-pandemic numbers.

Regarding electrical power, the advice to go bigger is the standard wisdom. Maybe your definition of "hobby" doesn't include high draw equipment. What is your definition of "hobby"?

Have tubing installed in the concrete for heating.
Install a minimum of 100 amp Single phase service.
Local building codes and the National Electric Code determine minimum electric requirements which includes outlets.
Think about a cheap storage shed that can be placed next to the building to house your compressor.

I have made provisions for 2 220 plugs and had already increased from the usual 30 A panel to 60A ,If I end up getting larger equipment I will only be able to run one at a time anyway.

If you are cutting some thick stuff with a plasma turned all the way up and your compressor is running to supply the needed air there goes almost 60 amps right there. Add some lights on and a stereo and fridge running and pop goes your main breaker.

I'm another vote for more power. It doesn't cost all that much to go from 60 to 100 A service.
At least one window to stay in contact with the world. Consider windows and or door locations so you can get cross ventilation.

There are actually two 36" x48" windows ( I added a second ) 1 that is sealed and 1 that opens, I am also going to have a 12 " ventilation fan with louvers boxed into the wall just below the soffit on the lee side of the shop so the prevailing NW wind will carry the smoke away ,for the express purpose of air movement and ventilation.

Had a shop in Alberta with 60 amp service, was fine for everything, except the plasma cutter. When the compressor would start it always tripped the breaker, then walk across the yard and into the basement to reset it. Got tiring after a while. lol
I'll second running conduit. Adaptable as time and things change and a lot quicker to do than buried wire and having to cut all the box holes in the sheeting. The PVC stuff is quite reasonable priced and really quick to instal.
I've been framing my buildings with 2x2 horizontal strapping, either inside or outside depending on the siding. If board and batten strap the outside then sheet. A 4 inch bat split in two fills between the battens. This gives a thermal break covering the studs. My current shop is two story, the bottom floor stays at 18 - 19 all summer with the thick walls and the concrete as a heat sink. Causes issues when welding, can't open the doors to let the smoke out on hot days or the warm moist air causes condensation on all the tools. Had to install an air exchanger to vent the smoke and replace with drier air.
Radiant floor heat is nice, installed it in the shop but can't seam to control the temperature swings here. If we get a few cold days the floor warms up to compensate, then it turns mild and the shop is too warm for a week with the extra insulation. Works fine in the house and upstairs shop with the wooden floors. They have less thermal mass to control.

Greg

Been a while for any updates! Let it suffice to say it has been an adventure... It started off wit the original concrete slab having to be jac-hammered out ! Terrible piece of(*$*#) followed by horrible drywall work . Finally I bought a Kent vertical mill that was as close to a stool sample as would conceivably be possible , luckily I managed to pass it along to someone with full disclosure and a as is bill of sale. They were happy and I was ecstatic. after that I decided to just bite the bullet and get what I wanted , with warranty! just starting to move in and get to a working shop status , but I am very excited for the projects to come. hopefully the pictures will up-load.

Attachments

• 20211003_044611.jpg
    20211003_044611.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20211003_044642.jpg
    20211003_044642.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 20211006_161828.jpg
    20211006_161828.jpg
    891.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211006_183251.jpg
    20211006_183251.jpg