New Shop time!

blaser.306

Active User
Registered
I am fortunate enough to have worked all thru the last year of restrictions and isolating, I also lost my wife to Pancreatic cancer in Dec. 2019 so to say that it has been a rough patch would be the understatement of the century ( for me at least ).
As the most recent bright spot has come along, I have been approved to start construction of a new workspace, and move my machine shop from a bedroom in my basement ( currently 10' X 12' ) ! My original plans have changed a few times already but I have come to the final size being 24' x 24' with 10', 2"x6" walls. This will primarily be workshop with the ability to park inside for inclement weather, there will be gas heat , 4" 4000 psi edge thickened edge slab and a 8' X 10' roll up door to give back alley access for adding new machinery :) . Any suggestions for the quantity and spacing of outlets from others that have done it, I have already increased the electrical from 30 to 60 amp service with (2) 220V outlets ( and learned from discrepancies ) would be appreciated! Being there is still 2' of snow in my back yard I have a while to make decisions as to the interior finishing. I do know as a fact I will be sheeting over the drywall with 29 GA steel ( light grey ) to protect from grinding sparks and gutting oils behind where my machines will be placed. Here's looking toward a better 2021!

24x24 won't be big enough. Go larger if at all possible. Same with the 8x10 door. If finances will allow, install insulation under your concrete. Will be much easier to keep warm in the winter. Your feet will thank you. I had 2 courses of concrete blocks capped with solid block laid around the perimeter of my slab then built walls on top. The extra headroom has really helped. Install some sort of lugs in the floor to allow you to pull/drag equipment around. If possible go with more than a 60 amp service. Install 110 outlets every 6 feet wired with #12 on 20 amp breakers. 4 or 8 foot LED lighting. Seal concrete as soon as possible after pouring BEFORE bringing anything into the shop. Plan some way to install an overhead fixture that will allow you to attach a chain hoist capable of at least 1 ton. Best of luck on your build.

Unfortunately 24 x 24 is as large a structure as I can do. I am already planning on a 8" I beam for a chain fall for lifting . If I go past 24' Costs jump dramatically as pilings and grade beam construction is mandated, Being in a city setting I am restricted as to size and configuration, bearing in mind that this is a Small hobby shop and in no way a commercial venture so nothing massive will be moved in or out. In regard to the electrical I do not ( at present ) own any 220V machinery and am making the provision for 220v outlets . I will be taking care of 110 v outlets when the framing is up .

So sorry to hear about your wife.
24x24 sounds great. The lugs in the floor are a great idea.
I love my 20x20 shop.

I will definitely take the conduit advice into heavy consideration! I am certain that building materials have gone thru the roof in the US as well, but here a 4x8 x 7/16 sheet of osb is currently selling for $45.00 !2x6x10 studs are just over $16.00 ea . The company I am dealing with said cost of materials has tripled in the last 12 months. So! I have to make the best of what I have to work with!

Yep. Lumber prices are insane right now. Have you looked into a steel building? Maybe cheaper with current lumber prices.

Yea what about like a pole barn style. You can still insulate them very well.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife.

On the power side of things I would try and go with at least a 100 amp service if not more. It's better to be on the high side then not have enough when needed. I like the idea of having lugs in the concrete. If you can put floor heat in, both my house and my shop 30'x30' have floor heat, it's really nice. The shop I keep set low and supplement with a wood stove. I'm planning on building another building for a machine shop in a couple years, it will have floor heat as well.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to your progress.

Yea, inside city limits I am pretty limited as to the amount of latitude I have as far as construction . I will be using a local construction firm that a friend is the estimator / quote giver guy ( LOL ) so will get the best possible costing and " friends and family " discounts! I am definitely excited . And as mentioned it is strictly a hobby shop! The way I look at it is if I need a substation outside the door in the alley to run my garage it will have
ceased to be a hobby...

Back