New Shop Lighting

2.50 for led is expensive?

just did my whole house..electric bill dropped 80 bucks the first month

My whole shop and most of my home is now LED electric bill down even from the compact fluorescents. For the shop I used 4" octagon boxes with the simple porcelain utility fixtures spaced 3'-4' apart in a grid and LED 60W equivalent 9.5W actual "light bulbs". It gives great area light, I have supplemental lights at each machine. Each fixture with the bulb cost less than $10.

I replaced several overhead incandescent fixtures with LED fixtures. I like them, especially the idea of no bulb replacement.

Like some have stated, LED is still somewhat over priced and I'm still not convinced the quality is there on affable units. I too replaced all interior can lights in our home to CFL's only to be diasapointed in the longevity of the bulbs and no noticeable energy savings. I did not want to have a similar experience with LED's.

mcoak, you did not mention your ceiling height of your shop. This information should be considered in your choice of fixture and placement.
After researching lighting (two years ago), I settled with T-5 high bay fixtures. Each fixture puts out 33k lumens (according to literature) and come on instantly.

check relighdepot.com

Does any body else find it ironic, that the incandescent bulb was invented in the US, and the US is the first place to ban them.

Firestopper,

Ceiling height is 9 feet. I am installing fluorescent fixtures for now.

Mitch

I've been moving to T5HO fixtures in the garage, with 6500K bulbs. The bulbs are as expensive as the LED's but have a better color temp for outside color matching on painted parts. When they start making LED's with the 6500K color temp, I might move over to them. As the Daylight CFL's around the house have died, I've been replacing them with Cree LED's at 5000K color temps.

I've got a few brands of gu10 spot led lamps that have been quite nice and also quite afordable. About £5 each for good but no name or rebranded type of stuff , i do have a couple of osram lamps and they are a very nice light, the most like an incandesant lamp that i have seen, they were £10 each.

Has anyone used hmi discharge lamps? I've seen them used as wall wash lights and in shops a lot in the past but normaly i see them in about 800w rateing.

Only ask as i had a spair driver for a car hid and some spair lamps, when i pluged it in the amount of light seemed rediculous compared to any other 35w lamp i had

Stuart

LI too replaced all interior can lights in our home to CFL's only to be diasapointed in the longevity of the bulbs and no noticeable energy savings. I did not want to have a similar experience with LED's.

That's certainly rational. CFL benefits and reliability were spectacularly oversold. I can understand once-bitten-twice-shy, but LEDs really are much, much better than fluorescent in many dimensions: see this comparison.

The 50,000 hour reliability figure is probably for the individual physical LEDs themselves and almost certainly presumes good cooling and no problems with other circuitry (like ballast bypass) but my experience with LEDs so far has been orders of magnitude better than CFL, incandescent, or normal T8 fluorescent bulbs. I've had no problems whatsoever: instant on, much brighter, consistent light, no failures (in my shop) so far, and less power consumption. High energy LEDs (e.g. CREE) do need good heatsink/cooling design to remain reliable.

I have had one (just one) LED assembly fail in my home. It was in a sealed bathroom light fixture — I strongly suspect it was a cooling (design) issue. Unlike CFLs, I believe this was a design flaw with the specific device/application and not with the underlying technology. I've not found reliable CFLs from any manufacturer, but this was the only LED light assembly I've ever had fail. I replaced it with one from another manufacturer a couple months ago. We'll see.

They are still more expensive than fluorescent, but the adoption rate has been quite fast and they are getting cheaper every day. FWIW, I'll never go back.

Regards,
--
Rex

Going way back, I had installed a number of CFLs in my house, but was not a fan. Since then I have converted those fixtures from CFL to LED and did away with all of the CFLs. There are a few incandescent bulbs in low usage areas yet, but as they burn out they will be replaced with LEDs also.

I had a CFL go bad a few years back. It caught fire and it was a good thing we were home when it happened! Luckily all it took was to shut off the power and the fire quickly subsided, but it could have been worse. It was at about that time that Home Depot had Cree LED 60W equivalent soft white bulbs on sale for $7 each. I bought ten of them, along with a couple of daylight ones, just to try them out. All of the CFLs are gone from my house and I will never purchase another one.

My whole shop and most of my home is now LED electric bill down even from the compact fluorescents. For the shop I used 4" octagon boxes with the simple porcelain utility fixtures spaced 3'-4' apart in a grid and LED 60W equivalent 9.5W actual "light bulbs". It gives great area light, I have supplemental lights at each machine. Each fixture with the bulb cost less than $10.

I am in the middle of doing the exact same thing in my basement shop area. The room is small, 12' x 11' and I am putting nine porcelain fixtures in there in a grid pattern covering an area roughly 9' x 9'. There should be few shadows in the room when done, but I will still have spot lighting on the lathe, mill, drill press, and bench grinder. Estimated cost for fixtures, boxes, romex, and LED bulbs will be under $100. Electricity cost at 3 hours per day (at current rates) will be 83 cents per month. Don't think I can beat that with a stick!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with Williams Fluorescent Lighting. They have a web app for light fixture placement based on the shop size and illuminance required. After several trials I ended up with 8, 4 lamp luminaires (220 W)
for my 26 x 40 x 11 H shop. These provide an average illuminance of 96 fc at 3 feet off the floor. I use Philips Alto TL5 54W/ 850 HO lamps. They are 5000k daylight and I have almost no shadow on the work surface.

Paul

Back