New Shop Lighting

mcoak

Registered
Registered
I am finally getting electricity to my new shop space. It's about 15' by 30', no windows.

Would fluorescent fixtures be the best way to light the shop?

If it's in the budget, I would go with florescent tube replacement type LED lighting. Higher initial cost, but would pay for themselves in time. Fluorescent fixtures would be my second choice.

I would also encourage installing a battery powered emergency light just for safety. http://www.mcmaster.com/#power-failure-lights/=wzqxkv

Last edited:
I'll tell the world about Lithonia Lighting's "4' LED Wraparound /120." They're not cheap at $59 ea, but they sure do put out the light. I got mine at Home Depot, and the bin they were in was almost empty, seems like they are selling them as fast as they can stock them.

I'd go with LED too. You can get double fixtures from Costco for $40 and HD sells Cree drop in tubes for $20. It's not the longevity and lower electricity costs that make the biggest difference, but the better light quality (if you get decent ones) and instant on. My "shop" is all LED other than the task light next to the lathe and it's made a world of difference. Given that you'll probably be converting to LED at some point even if you do get fluorescents, you might as well do it now :)

Heck LOWES and HD have 2 bulb 4Ft florescent fixtures for as low as $11 each, Purchase those then get the replacement LED bulbs, take out the Ballast, and away you go, I replaced the bulbs in my 2 bulb units and wow, I can see things better than ever, I did not know the Pace could be lit up like that. I got the 5500 -6000K bulbs and the are bright as a full sunny day. I guess if you wanted to you could also get the replacement ends for the florescent fixtures and build you a box and wire it up. The ones I did were set up so both prongs on one end were power and the other was ground. (I actually had to replace the parts on one end as I knocked it off and broke both of them.) from 2 to 4 bucks a pair.

I put up t8 florescents in the shop, and they are great. Going to look into the led's for my new building. Mike

Personally I find LEDs still way overpriced......but you guys keep buying them so the price comes down , okay?

I have nearly a dozen fluorescent fixtures in my shop, and have picked up old desk lamps and arm lamps at yard sales to provide "task" lighting at each machine.

However, CFL bulbs have to be one of the greatest product flops in my lifetime.
-supposed to be environmentally friendly, but may have more mercury than fluorescent!
-supposed to work anywhere, but the electronics overheat and die -they last shorter than incandescent!
I'll never buy another one of those.

-brino

Wow - thanks for all the information. I'll be looking into the LED fluorescent replacements. I have LEDs in flashlights, a few table lamps and soon in the shop. I won't be buying any more CFLs, that's for sure.

I use Lithonia 6 bulb fixtures with 6 Daylight 6500k bulbs each times 6 fixtures in my 3 car garage. This gives me 36 bulbs of brighter than an alien spacecraft light to work under. The light blasting out my garage door windows at night is epic!!

If you don't go with LED, my second choice should be T-5 florescence. Much brighter then T-8 fixtures and work when it's very cold.

Back