New pulley from the drawing board to final machining.

I finally see an area where the up and coming 3D printer technology might be of benefit . Looks like it would be great for pattern making.

I've actually modified my CNC to include 3D printing. I've been busy printing change gears for my Atlas Lathe. They seem plenty strong and are much quieter too. Printing in 618 Taulman Nylon.

Here's a video of the print process. Kind of fuzzy and a little shaky but you can get the idea.

[video=youtube_share;F7PF0dRgZS8]http://youtu.be/F7PF0dRgZS8[/video]

GEDC0044.JPG GEDC0013.JPG GEDC0029.JPG

Wow, you're directly using 3D printed gears? That's awesome! I had no idea 3D printed stuff could hold up to stress like that.

That is so awesome. Great work. Can you 3d print a qucik change gear box for my atlas? I'll give you $100 :rofl:

That is so awesome. Great work. Can you 3d print a qucik change gear box for my atlas? I'll give you $100 :rofl:

It would probably be possible but I'd either have to have the box to take measurements or have proper drawings of it. At any rate, I think a metal casting would be better for that application.

GREAT post and great pictures. I teach a CNC class and these would be great pictures to show students a project going from drawing to final. Would you mind me coping these and using them for my class I will give proper credit. Thanks for posting this, can't wait to see what else you post. Welcome to the board.

Jeff

GREAT post and great pictures. I teach a CNC class and these would be great pictures to show students a project going from drawing to final. Would you mind me coping these and using them for my class I will give proper credit. Thanks for posting this, can't wait to see what else you post. Welcome to the board.

Jeff
Jeff,
They were put here to help anyone who finds them useful. Feel free to use them in your class.
Dan

By the way, I'm considering a video on how to draw an involute gear in Sketchup and the slicing process for creating a 3D print of the gear. It might be another one for your class.

Back