New pulley from the drawing board to final machining.

Gadget

Active User
Registered
As I said in my introduction, I'm making a custom pulley for the Gingery horizontal mill I'm building. Here are some photos of screenshots of the design process and some of the machining I've done so far.
Here are the rest of the photos.
First photo is the CAD drawing,
Second is Cut 3D roughing preview.
Third is the Cut 3D finish cut preview
Fourth is the material layout with tabs in Cut 3D
Fifth is the patterns cut from the CAD drawing on my CNC router table. Material is MDF. Pattern is two halves with match pins.
Sixth is chucked in lathe ready for boring.
The rest are various stages of machining of the pully. My tool post broke before I was finished so I have to get a new one before I can continue.
CAD.JPGroughingpreview.JPGfinishcutpreview.JPGCut3D1.JPGGEDC0021.JPGGEDC0020.JPGGEDC0023.JPGGEDC0027.JPGGEDC0024.JPGGEDC0028.JPGGEDC0025.JPGGEDC0022.JPGGEDC0026.JPG

Dan

CAD.JPG Cut3D1.JPG finishcutpreview.JPG GEDC0020.JPG GEDC0021.JPG GEDC0022.JPG GEDC0023.JPG GEDC0024.JPG GEDC0025.JPG GEDC0026.JPG GEDC0027.JPG GEDC0028.JPG roughingpreview.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good and will be watching this thread.
I think you need 20 posts unless they wave them for you to allow you to upload the pictures.

Dave

Looks good and will be watching this thread.
I think you need 20 posts unless they wave them for you to allow you to upload the pictures.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I'm working on the 20 posts but don't want to just do post bumping just for the sake of the count. I tend to be fairly active on the forums I visit so it won't be long before I can post the rest of the photos.
Meanwhile you can see some of my machines at work on Youtube, my account is Gadget047 there.

Hi David,
I will have a look at that link, thanks.
I am sure there are plenty of subjects you could help out on, so you wouldn't be post bumping, as some of these people could really do with the help.

Dave

Edit
I have been here since it started and only have 166 posts, so who am I to talk, LOL

Dave, I have 4175 posts on the Longevity forum since it's inception Novemver 2007 so post count shouldn't be a problem. Of course as moderator and administrator there it requires a bit more posting.

Update New pulley from the drawing board to final machining.

I finished the pulley today. I had to make a new tool post since my old one broke. It wasn't much good anyway. The new one works great.GEDC0028.JPGGEDC0027.JPGGEDC0025.JPGGEDC0024.JPG

GEDC0024.JPG GEDC0025.JPG GEDC0027.JPG GEDC0028.JPG

I resized the toolpath from 8" to 6" for the next pulley. Here is the first part of the pattern after CNC cutting in MDF.

GEDC0032.JPGGEDC0031.JPG

GEDC0031.JPG GEDC0032.JPG

Video of CNC cut of next pulley pattern

I downsized the 8" pulley to 6" for the next pulley in the mill build. I made a short video of the pattern cutting process on my CNC router.

[video=youtube;Jp-Yv1WZPcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp-Yv1WZPcs[/video]​

Good illustrative methodology, Gadget. Gad you took time to stop and take pictures along the way. The foundry is one area of this site where we could use some expertise, and the prep work is where many websites fall short. Pattern making is an art form of its own.

Thank you for posting your project.

I finally see an area where the up and coming 3D printer technology might be of benefit . Looks like it would be great for pattern making.

Back