New Press Build

Very nice press! Looks like it can take all the HP you throw at it!

Interesting is a great description. I know I'll be staying tuned and hopefully it will give some warning. I built a much smaller one years ago from donated material as a 12T. A few years back I had an axle hub stub shaft I couldn't get out and made some changes to it and went to a 20T air/hyd. I got the stub-shaft out, but bent the table. Redesigned the table and so far so good. Without experimentation where would we be? I have 2 100T jacks that I bought from a guy cleaning out his shop. They are mounted together and where on a device to test Spancrete beams. You my friend have inspired me. Thanks for posting, and good luck hunting for that limit. :thumbsup2: Mike

Last edited:
Well, we tested the press on a couple of forklift tires. These are the small steering tires so the load wasn't as much as the larger tires will be.
http://youtube/9b9Gn0DOmvQ

Since the span is so wide the tonnage will have to be fairly low to prevent bending the 2 C-beams with too much juice. Might weld in some flat plate to stiffen up the base and then the tonnage goes back up to 50 or 100 tons easily, buy thay must be continuously welded from one end to the other on top and bottom of both sides.

Bob
We pressed a shaft out of it's gear and got the pressure on the shaft up to a little over 314 tons with the new press. I am imPRESSed with the results. The gauge in the photo is showing the pressure when the gear finally broke loose and was moving off of the shaft but it broke loose at 8000 lbs.
Pat

IMG_1273.JPG

Last edited:
More videos.
We did end up heating the gear to get the shaft to push out but even then it took over 300 tons to get it to move. Arky said it saved him 2 to 3 days work to get it pressed out otherwise he would have spent that much time boring the shaft to get some relief from the interference fit.
We have already realized we need to make a few modifications to it, but so far we are quite pleased.

Last edited:
Very cool. I can imagine it might get a little tense waiting for something to move. I pressed a bearing pack out of a water pump from my backhoe on a friends 80 ton and it sounded like a gun going off when it broke loose right at the limit. I was amazed the casting survived unscathed. Nice job. Mike

Yeah, Mike, when we pressed the forklift tires off, one of the guys was across the shop working on a lathe when it popped at 78 tons and he hollered. He said how about giving a guy some warning.
Thanks Mike

IMG_1323.JPG We made a slight modification to the press. The things that need to be pressed on this press are a bit heavy and loading it on a cold day with the overhead door up to get the fork truck in was very inconvenient, so we installed an overhead hoist and have another to install so that we can drift in the really heavy gears and gearboxes.
Pat

Arkie informed me this evening, that he pressed off some solid forklift tires sunday afternoon and they came loose at 4000 psi. That works out to 157 tons. He and I are in agreement that the press can easily handle 200 tons.
Later
Pat

Back