New Press Build

HSS

Active User
Registered
Arkie has a 50 ton press but sometimes it just wasn't stout enough to get the job done. My wife and I spend a bit of time helping him in his machine shop, along with his full time employee and one part time employee, and between the 5 of us we have been constructing a new hydraulic press. I don't know any of the dimensions except the width which is the last thing I measured on it last night. It is 95" on the outside of the uprights which will give you a table 89" long. Now if I can post pictures. I've had problems before with pictures on here. Well, i got all but one right, and that took a while. I finally just gave up. More to come as we continue the build.
Patrick

IMG_0983.JPG IMG_0984.JPG IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0986.JPG IMG_0987.JPG

That's a big press! What's the planned tonnage?

Since the span is so wide the tonnage will have to be fairly low to prevent bending the 2 C-beams with too much juice. Might weld in some flat plate to stiffen up the base and then the tonnage goes back up to 50 or 100 tons easily, buy thay must be continuously welded from one end to the other on top and bottom of both sides.

Bob

Nice press. Better to have something bigger than you need than to have something that's not big enough to do the job.

I worked with a guy and his only tools were a big hammer and a pipe wrench. He would fit right in there.... :allgood:

Well, we've got big hammers and several pipe wrenches, so no problem there. We're planning on about 180 tons but not sure of the hydraulic unit's output, at this time, but think it's around 4600 psi. Still have to build the hydraulic cylinder. it's in the lathe now. Stay tuned

This is the DOM tubing that will be the hydraulic cylinder. it has a 10" id. and the stroke probably won't be over 10".
Later
Patrick

IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0991.JPG

Back