New PM-727V arrived today, Happy ??

I know that there is a PM shipment from Taiwan on its way here & due in early August. Maybe your replacement motor is on that ship.

Man, you have been an incredible customer. I bought my PM-727m used and it needed some things. I was happy to pay for them and yet I was sent out to find them on my own...at least 5 times. Weird, they have their reasons...whatever, but if I bought a brand new machine and posted my experience here for others to view, well, this is as good as it gets? A very patient man you are no doubt, but when will that fuse be used up? Hopefully they are lighting fires under peoples feet because as of now, it's been too long. HEAVEN FORBID that's not the problem. I can say mines in great shape now and will probably be for sale soon...just saying.

A new motor arrived yesterday , I went right to work. The install went well other than one of the factory installed connectors was incorrect and would not plug into the motor controller , it was a simple swap with the original . As per the manual the first thing I did was to run it through all gear settings which I did in forward and reverse .
Here are a few things noted
A.) The forward and reverse buttons are reversed , don't know what caused it, motor or controller. Should be an easy fix.
B.) When set at H-3 running at approximately 2500 rpm the speed will fluctuate by a few hundred rpm, sounds like it is straining when the rpm drop.
C.) The lower spindle bearing gets very hot after just a few minutes of running at higher speeds
So my mill is running which is a step in the right direction but QC is in need of help!

A step in the right direction indeed. Hope you sort out the last few issues.

Just my opinion here, but I have owned several Chinese bench mills and I learned to change out the spindle bearings as soon as I could. Head runs cooler, smoother, and the surface finish improves significantly.

I can't say what my PM was like from new as I bought it used however, when I replaced the spindle bearings, a bit too much grease and the temp rises quickly. Between breaking in the bearings and displacing a bit of grease, I'd be willing to bet that will change over time. Perhaps set it to run 20 mins a day regardless if its cutting anything. Smooth waters from here brother!

I can't say what my PM was like from new as I bought it used however, when I replaced the spindle bearings, a bit too much grease and the temp rises quickly. Between breaking in the bearings and displacing a bit of grease, I'd be willing to bet that will change over time. Perhaps set it to run 20 mins a day regardless if its cutting anything. Smooth waters from here brother!

I think you nailed it ! I have been running it in all gears both forward and reverse, it has improved. I noticed the head gets pretty warm also but it's probably normal. I will check the actual temp next time. I may take wrmiller's advice and look into upgrading spindle bearings.
Thanks much

It is good to hear you have a running machine! The spindle gets warm on my PM-727M also. I have never measured the temp but it certainly isnt too hot to hold on to. my machine got quieter after it got some time on it. I think I will soon be pulling the spindle to re grease the bearings so I will probably replace them with a better quality bearing with good grease.

Warm, even mildly hot is OK guys. But when you can't keep your hand on the head for very long it's TOO hot. ;)

Even with class 7 bearings things still get warm. Friction creates heat, and with a new machine, things need to wear/break in a bit. But that's just my opinion of course.

Warm, even mildly hot is OK guys. But when you can't keep your hand on the head for very long it's TOO hot. ;)

Even with class 7 bearings things still get warm. Friction creates heat, and with a new machine, things need to wear/break in a bit. But that's just my opinion of course.

Just thought I'd check temps, after running in H-3 (gear selection) for 15-20 minutes side of motor was 142, top of head near motor 116, all other parts of head 102-109, spindle bearings 113. Temp taken with digital laser thermometer, motor speed kept high but not max to provide best fan efficiency. I think it will only get better with more run time.
Anthony

Back