New PM-727V arrived today, Happy ??

I work in the automation industry and while I cannot comment on BLDC motors, I can on AC servo motors. They are surprisingly the same motor hardware more or less, except the AC motor is controlled a bit more intelligently. Since there are no brushes, they can last a very long time (decades) under constant use. That assumes the customer installs them within the design limits and in a clean environment. It is much more common for the control electronics to die.

That being said, induction motors are the simplest device out there and can last indefinitely with bearing maintenance.
Thank you, that helps. As I said before, I have no experience with these motors and do not know what to expect ... good or bad, so any real world feedback is most welcome.

31 Days have passed. I have been nothing but patient . Thoughts?

They might be waiting for a big(ger) order from China to be shipped with which they'll include your motor. Otherwise, it would be $$ to just ship a motor from China but I could be wrong. Did they give you any estimated date?

Shipping is a real big problem right now.
I don’t know if it applies but it took UPS a
over a month to ship a package 142 miles in Northern Ca.
The package arrived damaged but the item was OK.
I understand Fed Ex is experiencing a similar overload problem.

31 Days have passed. I have been nothing but patient . Thoughts?
You are clearly going through a frustrating start with your new machine. I am confident that your patience will have you making chips at some point. I would bet everything I own that PM is doing everything humanly possible to rectify your issue.

With all of this removing and replacing, you are probably going to end up with an enviable stock of replacement parts for your machine. Those spare parts may turn out to be gold years down the road.

Hopefully you have other machines to spend time with while you endure this excruciating trial of your patience.

I also wonder how much time COVID-19 is contributing to these delays. COVID-19 has cancelled or delayed almost every single thing that I have planned in 2020.

Last edited:
You are clearly going through a frustrating start with your new machine. I am confident that your patience will have you making chips at some point. I would bet everything I own that PM is doing everything humanly possible to rectify your issue.

With all of this removing and replacing, you are probably going to end up with an enviable stock of replacement parts for your machine. Those spare parts may turn out to be gold years down the road.

Hopefully you have other machines to spend time with while you endure this excruciating trial of your patience.

I also wonder how much time COVID-19 is contributing to these delays. COVID-19 has cancelled or delayed almost every single thing that I have planned in 2020.

Thanks, I appreciate the fact that members here try to help me retain my sanity during this waiting game.

I do realize the issues that COVID-19 has caused, I tested positive and the first symptoms showed mid June.

I have been through hell but seem to be making a speedy recovery and hope to get negative test results soon.

As far as the mill goes, Mike from tech support has been working on getting my replacement motor.

I guess i'm just not aware of the added difficulties when having to deal with part coming from China.

Thank you and to everyone that took time to help.

Brushless DC motors can be fiddly. They are bundled with their controllers, and they either work or they don't. Can PM provide you with a temporary AC induction motor that fits until they are able to source a BLDC motor with the correct mounting pattern? It might be awhile. I'd be going nuts, but in the grand scheme of things, a few months is not all that long. I have been rebuilding my sad old basket case South Bend lathe for years now. But at least it's making chips. Boy does it ever make a lot of chips.

.... but in the grand scheme of things, a few months is not all that long.
A matter of perspective. Using myself as an example, I would agree that a few months out of my first 75 years is not all that long. I dare say a few months out of my hopefully remaining years would be much more significant with proportionate frustration. Just saying. ;)

Tom

Hmmm. Tom, you have a good point. I would be asking PM about that induction motor to at least lend you for a few months.

Back