New Mill purchase and looking for tooling advice/recomendations

Todd_71

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I'm new to machining and I just purchased a PM-932 mill.

I work with and plan to work with mainly mild steel. I have maybe one chunk of AL in my garage and no plan to use it for anything other than a heat sink at this point. I have a couple project now on hold pending the mill arrival which include facing a chunk of mild steel (2" wide) and milling a square (ish) hole in that 2" thick chunk of mild steel.

I'm looking for some advice on purchasing tooling, vise, and other suggestions I will need to get started. I don't want to break the bank but I appreciate a quality tool and rather pay more than be frustrated with cheap tools. So I'd appreciate any experience that you might share as to best value/quality purchase and where best to pick these things up. In hopes of saving me some time and frustration. :)

So far I have purchased a collet set, keyless chuck, and a clamp kit with the mill purchase.
I know I need (ok want) a good 5" or 6" vise. I'd like to have something that can accommodate at least a 5" opening 6" would be better. That said I've read that most recommend nothing larger than a 5" vise for my mill.
Face mill?
End mills?
dial indicators, etc.?
Other?

I've been lurking and reading as much as I can... Hope I didn't duplicate a post.
Thanks in advance for the feedback!!!

Todd

First off, WELCOME, you've chosen an all star forum.

No, you haven't duplicated a post but your question is answered in many threads, by people just like you, who have need of basic equipment. I'd Clicking on the "New Posts and Threads" tab at the top and reading all the posts that seem to be similar to yours. You can skip the ones (for now) that deal with lathes.

I'm new to machining and I just purchased a PM-932 mill.

Todd, I haven't even finished reading your post yet, but wanted to quickly recommend the Homge 5" vise that Matt sells. I say guickly meaning before your mill ships! I have this vise on my 932 and am very happy with it (of coarse I have never used a Kurt). I ordered it with the mill so Matt put it in the mill box, which saved me probably 60 - 70 bucks on shipping. Will finish reading your post, and may have more to add. Oh, and welcome to the best machining forum on the web. JR49

Probably the first and most important thing to buy re: tooling is work holding- a good machinists vise, and a clamping set - t nuts, threaded rod, flat clamps, to hold stuff rigidly to your table, AND a good dial indicator and magnetic base. With this basic tool kit you can work away happily for years. Of course, after that, buying tooling is never ending...

Lots of people recommend Kurt Vises. These are spendy, but frequently you can find good ones used for half price...

Also a complete set of collets and a reasonable selection of end mills.

Enjoy your mill! A most useful machine.

Glenn

Welcome Todd!

I have a PM45 which is the predecessor to the PM932. I don't have a list in any particular post but you can see some of the tooling (& mods) I started out with in my thread. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-pm45m-pdf.9885/ There are also plenty of other threads by others that will give you more ideas.

And if/when you get more questions don't hesitate to ask us!

Thanks all. Any suggestions on where to get a decent set of end mills and a face mill? Any recommendations on where to get a good dial indicator?

I was looking at the GMT 5 or 6" vise. thanks Wreck I checked out that vise, it looks very nice and versatile, it's a bit more than I'd like to spend but its now on the want list. :)

Todd

Matt's out of 6" Homge (just tried to get one) but he may have some 5" in stock.
I went with a GMT on the advice of a good machinist friend of mine. He swears by the GMT and says it's every bit as good as his Kurt.
I took a good look at his GMT vise's and they are beautiful! I think you'd be very happy with one.

Matt's out of 6" Homge (just tried to get one) but he may have some 5" in stock.
I went with a GMT on the advice of a good machinist friend of mine. He swears by the GMT and says it's every bit as good as his Kurt.
I took a good look at his GMT vise's and they are beautiful! I think you'd be very happy with one.
Thanks Lonnie! I order the GMT 6" vise this week... go figure it arrived already and the mill is still in transit. It will all come together next week.

Back