New Member From Texas

That is exactly what we have.

7.5 hp motor and do not try a static converter....Ours came with one and top speed kicks out the protector.

Vfd not usually an option due to size so RPC is best.

Oil in clutch matters as too thick and it will not work proper and gearbox oil too thick will cost hp of the motor.

This lathe will get the job DONE but consider delivery...It will be difficult to move and it needs a floor space of 5 by 12 feet

We took a 3/8 depth of cut on 7 inch round and it did not phase it, that was the size of the cutting edge so limited to that.

It weighs in at 6500 pounds, we made pallets for each end and can move it with a pair of pallet jacks.

If it has reverse make sure motor Runa correct direction otherwise the reverse is reversed...

Go to practical machinest and search there for information and read the rules before posting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Go to practical machinest and search there for information and read the rules before posting.

We can handle him over here without going over there!

Thanks for the advice and info, guys. I'm heading up in the morning to take a look at it. I talked to the seller and he has somebody else that's supposed to come tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to take a dial indicator to get an idea of wear on the ways. If it looks decent, it's coming home. I'll probably post back tomorrow night. I'm sure I'll have more questions then.

Just another source of information. ..

More friendly here by far, but there are a few folks on the other side that have great depth of information for this model.

They do not take well to non pros so best to post questions here if one cannot find the answers to their questions.

Most that needs to be asked already has and most can be discovered via just searching.

Just a word of caution on the cost of the machine. If indeed it has a 7.5 hp motor, you will likely want to cost out a 15HP RPC. That size might get expensive. Often, 10 horse and larger rotary power converters get spendy.

Also a four jaw chuck is very handy to work with- particularly dialing in previously turned parts, such as shafts, etc. chucks are expensive for lathes this size. Although you may be ideally situated to shop shop around the used oil field market for large chucks and accessories. Lots of big equipment used in the petroleum extraction industry.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Glenn

Them chucks also are heavy!

Ours came with 3 and 4 jaw of nominal size and a 12 or 15 inch 3 jaw that PO had taken apart and lost jaws and spindles...later found a parts chuck so it is complete but must weigh 100 plus pounds.

Chucks can be had for 100.00 if you look under rocks.

.......Chucks can be had for 100.00 if you look under rocks.

I'd like to know where your $100 rocks are at so I can come get me a few chucks!

Realistically, Chucks for this lathe in good shape with L-1 or L-2 back start at $350 and up, and does not include shipping. Most I've found have to be motor freight to Texas from up north. Most of the junk dealers in Dallas/Houston want $750 and up for good chucks.

Picked one up at a general machinery dealer while looking at air compressors...saw it sitting next to a mill...4 Jaw pristine for 100.00.

One needs to seek out machine dealers as they often have extra stock from trade in equupment.

Oh, your not from Texas that explains much. Just finding a lathe that is good is a problem in Tex, much less deals like that.

KVT is correct. Used stuff is hard to come by over here in Texas. The few used machinery dealers we have around here are very high priced on tooling. They don't give away anything for nothing. That's why I used to buy a pallet full of stuff cheap and have it shipped down here from places like Cleveland, Ohio. I can get $100 chucks up there and I have. I have several I bought that way. I'm not going to sell them for that if I ever decide to sell any of them. I'm going to wear them out first, then sell them! :DKen

Back