New guys here with a stupid question.

Photo above goes with text that follows.

Last edited:
Tool height setting gauge doesn't have to be complicated. This is my quick en dirty one that has earned its keep many times over. The underside of the SS bolt head was faced square. Obviously the bolt must not protrude beyond the bottom nut.
View attachment 227825

The tool is raised until it just barely lifts and tilts the bolt. To set the gauge to start with do a facing job and adjusting the tool height until there is no nub to speak of. Then adjust the gauge to the tool.

Last edited:
I went down the same route your on, I made a spacer to fit the original tool post bolt and although it worked it didnt solve the chatter problem.
I replaced the centre bolt with one of the correct size.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-9x20-mods-thread.30050/
I now use a plinth instead of the compound and the lathe is way more rigid.
I only had a few more weeks experience than you when I started this so its not difficult.

He said he's a beginner. No need for the condescending tone. And that is clearly inserted carbide he's using, not brazed carbide.
How may one go about asking a simple question that is not condescending?

Dear Sir, are you trying to accomplish your goal as pictured, if so my experience leads me to believe that this will not achieve the desired results, I could be wrong however therefor employ any method that you have at hand.
Better?

Dear Sir, are you trying to accomplish your goal as pictured, if so my experience leads me to believe that this will not achieve the desired results, I could be wrong however therefor employ any method that you have at hand.
Better?

No offense taken,
I moderate RZRFORUMS.NET with 95k members,
I see all kind of comments helping all kinds of people / problems.
I appreciated the comment.

You are making tool height too complicated.

First search for old school books from old shop classes as they have good stuff.

Second the atlas or craftsman manuals put the SB ones to shame as they had much good stuff.

Back to tool height...

Just get your pocket rule or a short chunk of steel strapping (does not really matter) and hold it vertical between your tool and the work.

Gently (more so with carbide as it can break) bring the carriage closer to the work until it just touches.

When it is touching the rule on one side and holding it against the work the elevation of the tool in relation to the point it contacts the work will cause it to be at some angle other than vertical.

Lean towards you too low and away to high and dead center will be straight up.

BTW we like the way post 21 shows as it is simple and clever but requires a suitable surface to work that our old iron does not have.

Your tool us one size too small for your lathe so consider next larger size but look for machinery dealers as many have the "used parts area" where they sell used items.

This allows yiu to try different things for cheap.

Our last trip we got some obsolete holders for 5 bucks a pop and the carbide inserts for free out of the see what is in it box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Wreck" data-source="post: 465450" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">

Better?
Try just explaining the problem with that scenario. The way you said it here is truly abrasive. Only slightly paraphrased: "You aren't actually doing it that dumb way, are you?"

Back