New guys here with a stupid question.

One other thing, Gregg, We have a saying here, "there are no stupid questions". As a fairly new hobby machinist myself, I just love reading all the "beginner questions". It helps my 67 year old brain keep fresh on the basics, so keep them coming, JR49

Wreck" data-source="post: 465327" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
You are not facing a part held that far from the chuck are you?

To answer your question however, place a part in the chuck and face across it and then shim the tool until the nub disappears, this may take a good deal of time. This is the only way to set a facing tool to 0 or parting tool to 0.

Also do not expect brazed carbide tools to repeat, an expensive insert tool will do so after an insert change and are worth the money.
He said he's a beginner. No need for the condescending tone. And that is clearly inserted carbide he's using, not brazed carbide.

The selection of QCTP seems endless,
I'd like to purchase something I can bolt on.

You are not facing a part held that far from the chuck are you?

To answer your question however, place a part in the chuck and face across it and then shim the tool until the nub disappears, this may take a good deal of time. This is the only way to set a facing tool to 0 or parting tool to 0. ...

Actually there are lots of ways to set the tool height. By far my favorite method is shown in this youtube video:

{Probably a better method yet is to make a height setting gauge for your lathe, but I never
seem to get around to it.}

DORN

Usually the QCTP comes with a mounting bolt and a T nut blank that needs to be milled to fit the slot in the compound of the specific lathe in question.
Not having a mill at the time, I just turned a bolt to fit the existing T nut and mounted the QCTP just as well. Later with the possibility to mill the T nut blank I reverted to using the mounting bolt that came with the QCTP. Please let me know if you would like more details.
Your compound looks different than mine. How does the current tool holder mount to the compound?

Back