New guy looking for the right lathe

Just saw this one on CL. What do y'all think?

http://bgky.craigslist.org/bfs/4648485438.html

Kevin

Im no expert on south bend lathes but that one looks a little odd to me. The bearing on the right side of the lead screw doesn't look like anything I have seen on a SB before and the cover on the headstock doesn't seem to match the actual headstock casting? If I had to guess I would say there is more than just south bend parts on that lathe, the cross slide handle is odd and it seems to be missing the tension arm for the countershaft assembly. I would be curious what others thought.

Shawn

The tensioning arm is missing. And I'd guess it is not the original lead screw bearing. The headstock cover is similar to, but not exactly like one that I have. That seems to be a minor variation. Also the motor mount appears to be unusual and I think probably not the best set up.

That being said, I'd go for it for $250. Providing there is no major faults not visible in the photos. I've enhanced them a bit:

cl1.jpg
cl2.jpg

This lathe will need a little work. The tensioner arm could probably be fabricated with parts from the hardware store. If the lead screw bearing works then I would let it be for now. Same for the cross slide handle. I would say that the motor mount should be changed.

There is a large amount of information on this lathe available for free on the web. I think it could be a fun project.

And if worse came to worse, you probably wouldn't lose any money if you re-sold it.

Charles

cl1.jpg cl2.jpg

I'm a guy who like old used bigger is better kinda machines. That being said, if your not into production, I dont see you wearing out any machine to the point of not passing it down. American or Import. Unless it's well on it's way to the crapper when you get it.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate everyones comments and opinions.

The guy with the 9C sent me an email and posted some more pics with the ad. He also said he may link a video later. I may go look at it next week if it's still available, however I think I want to wait on a more fully featured lathe. And, my first suspicions were confirmed that the lathe I linked last night that it was a little more work than I want to get into right now, although the price is nice. I'd like to be able to start out without to much hassle.

Kevin

Good idea to wait for the right deal. My advice would be to make a list of must haves and wants and then keep checking your local adds on a regular basis with the phone in your hand. Good deals are not that rare but you do need to be quick on the draw to get them.

Shawn

I'm not an expert or even a drip under pressure but I'll relate this - I got the hots to have a lathe and had no idea what I could do with it, or how big a one I needed. Drove the wife nuts about it "buy one ALREADY" then finally scored a new HF 9x20 on a sale with a 25% coupon (back in the day when they did such things). I had looked at a 12x36 in the local store and though "man, that's big". Anyway, got the little one home for under $500 and a trip to Dallas. I had it maybe 6 months and was sure that while it was a decent tool, I coulda shoulda got one bigger. I had no idea how much I'd really use it. Which turned out to be "a bunch". It's paid for it's raising many times over, in both cash and convenience. After all this time - about 10 years - I now have a 12x36 sitting on the floor in the shop. Just something to keep in mind. IMHO, if you start small, try to start cheap. Once you find out what you can - or could - do with it, you may well be on the hunt again. Everybody hates buying twice LOL.

Edit - I bought an Enco model (China) because decent used lathes are just not readily found around here. They pop up once in a while and usually at a big premium because there isn't - never was- a lot of small manufacturing here. Big stuff - CNC mills, 460V lathes that can turn drill pipe is the usual thing. And most have looked to be sitting in an open shed for a few years before they went on sale. To hunt even a decent Bridgeport type mill, the resellers are 200 miles east or 200 miles west. So New China for $2100 was the call here. YMMV.

I seem to be finding mostly South Bends and I have seen a few of the larger Atlas lathes. The Atlas 12x36 seems to command a higher asking price than the SB 9 series. So, how noticeable if any would the differences in these two machines be? Say the 9A vs the Atlas with comparable features. Would I find myself handicapped on certain tasks?

I found these two both seem to be more feature filled than what I has seen so far.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/tls/4616840914.html

http://www.bismanonline.com/content/action/Search?q=Lathe&searchCategoryId=All&x=-939&y=-210&sto=on

I have a close friend that lives 45 minutes from the second on linked, so it wouldn't be to hard to make that one happen.

Kevin

My thoughts Kevin, the under drive SB with cabinet would definitely be worth a closer look at that price. The Atlas is overpriced AFAIC.

Shawn

Edit: The one, near Cincinnati, I was most interested in is not for sale anymore. The individual selling it said he changed his mind.

So, I have found two more Atlas lathes. I pretty sure the one I want is the furtherest away. It has the taper and mill attachments. Which of all the tooling I have seen so far on the machines I'm looking at those two items, especially the milling attachment seems to be something I would use a bit. However, you guys may correct me and tell me I would use some other tooling more.

Also, I called about the SB close to my friend in ND and he said he picked it up at a government auction. I'm not sure if that's good or bad as an indication of wear. However, if I do decide on that machine it will be a number of months before it makes it's way home to me. So, I'm inclined to wait and see if something else comes up like these two Atlas machines.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/4653381645.html

http://lexington.craigslist.org/tls/4606805545.html

The one close to Lexington is supposed to send pictures today and I will post them when I get them. It is the under drive model with QC gears. He said the gears were busted when he got it, but he replaced them. Also, it has a four jaw chuck.

3427075467862dc703977f2d3a910c77.jpg

519dca5b9347bc4b9144e72e87bf7301.jpg

d8f6b710a2c93de4531fc45d53635544.jpg

Thanks again for for all your help.

Kevin

3427075467862dc703977f2d3a910c77.jpg

519dca5b9347bc4b9144e72e87bf7301.jpg

d8f6b710a2c93de4531fc45d53635544.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin,

The first link gets a message saying that the originator has deleted the listing. The one near Lexington is a Craftsman 101.28990 Same as the Atlas 3996. Arguably the best lathe Atlas ever built. The asking price is within the reasonable range for that model. If the two chucks are the only accessories that come with it, that's not much in the way of accessories. But if they are original, and in good condition, they are good quality although not top quality (the difference in new price between good and top usually runs 200 to 500%).

Your question/comment about useful accessories earlier may have been about the lathe that no longer shows up. But my comments on accessories are that if you don't have a mill, then the order of importance for most people would be Quick Change Tool Post (AXA for this lathe), milling attachment and milling cutter holder with drawbar, steady rest, carriage stop, face plate, cross slide stop, taper attachment, others. Of course, what you actually need to do most frequently on the lathe could modify that list.

One thing new lathe or mill owners often don't realize, regardless of the brand or badge, is that whatever the bare machine cost (assuming that you didn't get it for next to nothing), adequate tooling (including accessories) is going to cost that much again up to four times that much. At $1400 for this one, you are probably looking at about that much again.

Robert D.

Back