New guy looking for the right lathe

The Monarch is a nice heavy duty machine. It's like Cadillac compared to an Atlas (Volkswagen) or a South Bend (Ford or Chevy) . As for me, I like the Southbend with all of accessories; steady rest, follow rest, face plate, drive plates, collets etc. The key in my opinion is the spindle hole. The 9A Southbend has a 3/4 inch hole and so does the 12 inch Atlas, I think. So I don't think one is better than the other (Atlas or SB) except the Southbend is probably more heavy duty. Don't get me wrong all of these lathe will do the job. I just have a soft spot for Southbends.

Paul

One minor comment I'll throw in is that, just considering the 12" (Atlas or Craftsman), there are two significantly different versions. The 1960/70 models are about 25% heavier all around than the 1940/50 models and if the automobile analogy is fair, are easily up into the Ford/Chevrolet category (I would rather consider them Land Rovers). All of them use Timken spindle bearings so spindle wear is not an issue. And they use V-belts. The spindle ID is in fact 3/4" (actually 25/32").

That being said, if a 9" machine is large enough for what you want to do, and a 3/4" through spindle is large enough, the accessories that come with it could be used as the deciding factor. Comparable accessories for the Atlas are pretty readily available but they aren't cheap.

Robert D.

Hi all,

Just found your site a few days ago and introduced myself over in the new members section.

I've been reading a lot of info over the past few days and the Craftsman/Atlas seems to keep coming up. I found one locally and actually looked at it on CL at least twice over the past few days before I realized what it was. I can't find a lot of info on what these machines go for, so I hope it's ok if I post a link to it and get your opinions this one. I'm a total newb, so any and all advice is appreciated.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mpo/4647946671.html

Kevin

I bought the same lathe for my first lathe for $600 with all kinds of tooling. It was too small to do what I had in mind and so I sold it several years later for the same amount (with a bit more tooling). That guy is asking way too much.

I bought a Grizzly G0602 and have been very satisfied with it's performance.

Dang, y'all are making my decision tough. I really like both the Atlas and SB lathes, the one thing about both of those models is the spindle hole size. I'm sure I can find lots of projects that exceed their capabilities that seems to be a common occurrence for me. So, that leads me to wanting something like a Heavy 10, but Fabrikator has thrown a monkey wrench in with the suggestion of the Grizzly. It really looks like you get a lot for your money going that route as far as tooling goes. It looks like there is no power crossfeed though. I guess there is some compromise on features at this price point for every lathe. I really love the old iron though and I'm drawn to the Atlas and SB models.

So, here's my thought's. The 618 is too small for what I want. I want an underdrive model for space considerations, power crossfeed and QC gears. Power considerations being what they are I do have 30A single phase 220 in my garage, but it is shared with the welder and air compressor and is on the opposite wall from where the lathe will be located. So, 110V would be preferable. I know I can swap motors out on a lot of machines, although I'm not sure how hard it would be to find a compatible motor and keep costs down. I'm leaning very hard towards the Atlas near Lexington.

Questions about the Atlas tooling.

Is most of it proprietary? As in the design of the carriage and ways are what limit it from using other brands?
How much can I buy new vs. searching ebay/craigslist?
I assume anything that fits the spindle threads from any manufacturer would work? As well as the tailstock?

Then to throw everything I just said out the window I found this.

http://bham.craigslist.org/tls/4632037592.html

Just a little overwhelmed in this process since I'm learning so much more about it everyday. You guys have been a great help though and are giving me a whole lot to think about. I hope you can make some sense of what I just said I feel like I'm rambling or just trying to get all my thoughts out to make sense of it all.

Kevin

Kevin,

It depends upon what you are calling "tooling". Some people call anything that doesn't come on the bare bones lathe "tooling". My definition is that virtually all tooling is expendable. And if it isn't expendable (to the IRS), it's probably an accessory. So with that definition, tooling is not proprietary. For most lathes, most accessories are proprietary. Exceptions would be mostly chucks and collets. Generally, if it installs on the machine anywhere other than top of the compound slide or spindle nose, it's probably proprietary. For any brand and size lathe. That practice is generally universal, not just limited to Atlas. Between Atlas, South Bend, Logan and Clausing (which are at least with the vintage (older than about 30 years) lathes all in the same class), virtually no accessory for one with fit any of the other three.

Aside from the Chicom machines, none of the lathes that have been mentioned in this discussion are still in production. Although Clausing still supports both the Atlas and Clausing machines to some degree, if they still have any accessories in stock, it would be a fluke. I bought the last Atlas 12" Follow Rest that they had early last year. Everything else that I have inquired about has been out of stock and not going to be offered again. They still have a lot of the later parts (but prices are likely to be current machine tool prices, not "vintage"). I don't know the situation with Logan. The South Bend name is I've heard is still in use, but it's Chicom now. The short answer, unless you stumble across something NOSB, is going to be used. So eBay, Craigs List, pawn shops, flea markets and places like H-M.

Yes, pretty much anything that fits the spindle nose, spindle taper, or tailstock taper is generic.

Questions about the Atlas tooling.

Is most of it proprietary? As in the design of the carriage and ways are what limit it from using other brands?

How much can I buy new vs. searching ebay/craigslist?

I assume anything that fits the spindle threads from any manufacturer would work? As well as the tailstock? Likewise, most anything made to fit on top of the compound rest is generic, except that for most lathes you'll probably have to make the T-nut to fit.

Robert D.

Kevin

wa5cab writes: Although Clausing still supports both the Atlas and Clausing machines to some degree, if they still have any accessories in stock, it would be a fluke. I bought the last Atlas 12" Follow Rest that they had early last year. Everything else that I have inquired about has been out of stock and not going to be offered again. They still have a lot of the later parts (but prices are likely to be current machine tool prices, not "vintage"). I don't know the situation with Logan.

Logan Actuator appears to be having parts and accessories made (though I can't afford their prices). They have a pretty extensive list at lathe.com.

Well the Atlas sold today before I could make it up there on Thursday. So, I'm back to square one and cooling my jets as was mentioned earlier.

I'm both glad and disappointed I didn't get it though. As you all have made me keenly aware, I really need to learn a lot more before I go nuts and buy a lathe. Thank you for you help.

Kevin

John,

Thanks. I also moderate the Logan forum, and that question might come up some day. It is unfortunate but understandable that parts made today for the old lathes are going to cost what parts made today cost. Not related in any way to what the old lathes cost today. Unfortunately, no company that wants to stay in business is going to make new parts today and sell them at a large loss just because hobbyists still like the old lathes but can't or won't pay current prices for parts.

Robert D.

Logan Actuator appears to be having parts and accessories made (though I can't afford their prices). They have a pretty extensive list at lathe.com.

Back