New G0704

Kevlar

Registered
Registered
I just got a new toy!
I am being tortured looking at her as I have one arm in a sling due to rotator cuff surgery. In the mean time I can put together a shopping / wish list. So I am looking for some user advice on the following.
Now I have to spend some bucks on tooling and a vise.
What are you G0704 users using for a vise?
What types of end mill holders or collets do you recommend?
I am interested in trying out the TTS quick change tooling has anyone used this?
I plan on ordering the DVD set that Hoss offers some time in the next couple of months.
Thanks for all your help in advance...

Order a the 37T plastic gear so you have an extra on hand. My 4" import vise fits pretty well and is really nice, but any 4" ought to be good. I'd consider the ER-32 collet set because changing R8 collets is a pain with the small wrench/bolt head. I got the Er-25 set for my horizontal mill and they are nice.
The set of 8 cutters from Grizzly (half 2 flute, half 4) seem to work well, and you don't have to try and figure out what you might use the most.

-Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new purchase, but also I'm sorry to hear about the injury. In regards to the vise, I can't argue with the 4" import if you can afford it as that's definitely the way to go. I have the cheaper Shars and it has served my well for about a half a year so far.

I will be building the butterfly impact wrench power drawbar, (I'm using it now, just not attached to the mill yet) and I purchased the special tormach 3/4" collet and also a set of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251139490102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Excellent grind work and a great deal.

Have fun-
Dave

I'd be interested in you impressions, once you get to play with your new toy! I am considering this or the PM25MV machine as well. It will probably be a month or so before I pull the trigger on this.

Bill

I have a g0704 and been happy with it. It does everything I need. This is how I deal with the small draw bar nut.

I also just took in a new G0704. All I have done is the break in and made some aluminum chips. I ordered a 5" from enco with the free shipping. It was $127. It is heavy and I feel it will do what I need.

I have a g0704 and been happy with it. It does everything I need. This is how I deal with the small draw bar nut.

How does that work with the bigger sleeve nut under the hex nut? I am confused. What's the bigger sleeve but for over the draw bar?

The sleave nut is the stock part. it ejects the collet when you losen the draw bar. The draw bar has a 10mm square head witch is a pain so I cut a piece of 13/16" hex bar and broched a square hole to press on. Now I use a 13/16" wrench insted of 10mm.

Question for you, is the matching green paint you used, the one that Grizzly sells? Is it spray or brush on?

Thanks,
Dave

I used Rustolium hammer coat green witch matcheses the mill

Back